forty|aftermath

this takes place four days after the previous chapter ———————————————

———————————————

"I'm heading over to the apartment." Rebekah announced, walking into Hope's nursery where Klaus' was seated holding Hope.

It had been four days since the curse was placed on the Crescent Pack and three days since Dahlia was defeated. It had been almost sixty three hours since Freya informed Rebekah of how she healed Eva Sinclair's body and was allowed to jump into it. Although she was tempted, the blonde decided she was going to wait a few days before doing so. Despite how badly she wanted to continue the search to find a way to bring Kol back, Rebekah knew she had to take care of Veronica.

Her and Marcel had been taking turns looking after the hybrid. When one of them had to leave, the other came and watched over her. Ever since she lost her child, Veronica hadn't left her apartment once. Due to the overwhelming emotions, the brunette didn't want to do anything besides lay on the couch. This meant not remembering to eat and do other basic necessities. While Rebekah played the role of comforting sister by giving her a shoulder to cry on and cooking for her, Marcel attempted to play the role of cheering her up.

After discovering it would take more than a joke to make the woman smile, Marcel started to take extreme measures. He brought over her favorite movies and a bunch of junk food, which Rebekah scolded him on for not being healthy.

"Alright. I'll see you whenever you return."

"You really don't care, do you?" Rebekah scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "You could at least show a little bit of sympathy."

"I'm sure the last thing Veronica wants is my sympathy."

"You may be right, but she probably wants to see her daughter."

"If she wanted to see Hope so badly she can come and get her."

"Screw you, Klaus. The girl has just lost her child, husband, and pack in the span of minutes and you expect her to be well enough to come here and fight with you?"

When the hybrid didn't respond, the blonde shook her head and sped out of the compound, arriving at Veronica's door in seconds. Taking the key out of her pocket, Rebekah opened the apartment door and saw only Marcel on the couch.

"Where is she?"

"In the shower. She ate an hour ago and didn't threaten me when I told her to eat something."

"That's an improvement." Rebekah replied, taking a seat next to Marcel.

"Yeah, I just want her to get better. I know it takes time but who knows when the next threat is coming."

"She just needs a few more days to herself then she'll start coming back to reality," The original spoke, pausing before hesitantly continuing. "I know Veronica hasn't spoken to anyone in Mystic Falls, but do you think I should call someone? Maybe this happened before and she needs her friends."

"They're not her friends." Marcel scoffed, anger running through his veins as he thought about the people that were supposed to be her family. "They abandoned her when she needed them. If anything, she's better off without them."

Rebekah nodded, fiddling with the ring on her finger. Before they could continue their conversation, the sound of the shower turning off filled the sound of their ears.

"I have to go talk to Davina. Call me if she needs anything." The vampire said, kissing Rebekah's cheek before exiting the apartment.

After waiting on the couch for five minutes and not hearing the bathroom door open, Rebekah began to grow worried. Standing up, the blonde made her way to the bathroom. After listening for a moment and hearing nothing in the room, she knocked on the door.

"Roni? Is everything okay?"

Rebekah leaned against the door, hoping to hear any indication besides the steady beat of her heart that she was okay. A few seconds of silence led to opening the bathroom door. Once she registered what happened, the blondes heart felt heavy.

Veronica laid on the bathroom tiles, wearing a black tank top and a pair of sweatpants Rebekah assumed was from her old maternity clothes. Her usual brown eyes that held so much light were red with tears stained on her puffy cheeks. Her brunette hair was laid out behind her, some wet pieces sticking to her shoulders.

Slowly, Rebekah lowered herself onto the tiles in-front of Veronica, laying on her side to face her. The blonde reached forward and held onto one of her hands, the interaction causing for Veronica to finally meet her gaze.

"It's so weird." The brunette whispered, her voice slightly cracking. "I didn't even meet them but I'm so sad that they're gone."

Ignoring the pain in her chest from the confession, Rebekah softly smiled, using her free hand to push the strands of brunette hair behind her.

"It's okay to feel like this, Veronica. It was still your child. Even though you never got to meet them, they're at peace now."

"Just like Oliver?"

"Yes, just like Oliver."

After a few seconds Veronica let out a bitter laugh.

"You know, it's a bit ironic." The hybrid sighed, "Klaus took two people I loved and killed them within the span of days."

Rebekah furrowed her eyebrows.

"I know Klaus played a part in the loss of your child, but he didn't kill Oliver."

At this statement, it was Veronica's turn to furrow her eyebrows.

"He came to the infirmary with his body. He didn't deny it when I yelled at him about killing Oliver."

"Perhaps he just thought it was easier for you to hate him."

The brunette pondered the thought, but in truth, she didn't care. If Klaus wanted her to hate him, it worked. Thinking of everything he had done, all the pain he had caused her, resulted in fresh tears flowing from her eyes.

"I hate him." Veronica cried, choking on a sob. "I hate him so much that it hurts."

Rebekah couldn't ignore the pain in her chest anymore. With tears now falling down her cheeks, the blonde pulled the banshee into her arms, not caring about how uncomfortable the floor felt and how awkward the position was. All she cared about was comforting someone she saw as her sister.

"And I hate him for making you feel this way." Rebekah whispered, resting her head on-top of Veronica's.

filler chapter (and double update 🙈) but I love Rebekah and Veronica's dynamic so much <3

ceos of the klaus hate club!!!!