fifty two|secret plans

Veronica squinted her eyes, the words on the page a blur.

It was almost midnight and she still hadn't finished studying. After dropping out of college to take care of Hope and the whole supernatural life, Veronica forgot how exhausting school was.

If she were human and it was just her and Hope, the classes would've been bearable. But with the banshee ancestors breathing down her neck everyday, it made everything ten times harder. She understood she was more powerful, and maybe she should care more, but Veronica was tired. She was only in her early twenties and yet has felt like she's lived a lifetime.

Besides, the powers meant nothing to her. Yes, they're useful when there's someone trying to kill her, but what do they do for her other times? Veronica wished she was more in touch with her banshee side, and sometimes even her vampire side, but she felt nothing for both. The truth was, she liked being "normal". Maybe her friends back in Mystic Falls didn't mind all of the crazy stuff, but she liked the quiet life. She liked being able to wake up and not worry about who was going to try and attack her and her family that day.

For the last few months, ignoring the revelation of the banshee ancestors, Veronica had been feeling great. She'd stopped drinking, with Marcel's help, is ahead in her college classes, and hasn't had to fight anyone to the death. She'd been happily spending all of her time with Hope in their cozy apartment and living a comfortable life.

One thing Veronica should know by now is that nothing that good stays that way for too long.

≛ ≛ ≛ ≛ ≛ ≛

"Excuse me, but what the hell did you just say?"

Leia scoffed, rolling her green eyes while Nalda cleared her throat, flickering her gaze between Veronica and Amaia.

"I said, we want you to kill Klaus Mikaelson."

Veronica blinked once. Twice. Then laughed during the third time.

"I'm sorry, but I just think it's really funny that you're telling me what to do. I mean, you're literally the head elders, you can't do it yourself?"

"We may be old, but we are not immortal. We have a certain magic that keeps us alive, but we could still die if killed. And we both know Klaus Mikaelson can and will do that if we get too close." Amaia spoke, her hands working on whatever potion she was mixing.

"This game you three are playing with me, I'm not a big fan. You want to tell me what to do to improve my 'gift', fine. What I'm not going to do is let you stand there and tell me to kill the father of my child. Someone who I can consider family."

"But do you?" Leia raised a brow, "I mean, he killed your unborn baby. He's hurt you over and over again. Why not let Hope grow up with one great parent instead of two where one is only going to only hurt her."

"He did not-" Veronica let out a deep breath, "Klaus did not kill my child. At first I blamed him, but now I feel differently. And it's not up to you to tell me how to feel."

"Veronica, we're sorry if we've upset you, but we just want to help you grow."

"Stop it, Nalda. We all know by now that Veronica doesn't care about being a banshee. What's that saying, like father like daughter?"

Veronica snapped her gaze towards Leia, her dark veins popping out as she narrowed her eyes, "That man was not my father. And you're right, I don't care anymore. I'm tired of this supernatural shit. I have a daughter and a future and if I keep going down this road I'll end up dead by tomorrow because we both know Klaus would kill me even if I agreed. I don't know exactly how he feels about me, but he would kill anyone who dared harm him."

"You're right," Amaia hummed, her eyes finally meeting Veronica's, "You don't know how he feels. But I do."

If Veronica wasn't shocked by what Amaia had said, she would have noticed the small smirk on Leia's face. One that suggested mischief.