forty two

~*~*~

~*~*~

"i don't want to date anyone."

~*~*~

"oi, prongs," whispered sirius as he handed a folded piece of parchment to his friends who was hunched over his desk, doing the work professor flitwick provided, "i've to give this to you."

"thanks?" replied james unsurely, he unfolded it and read the note over, with sirius peering over his shoulder.

would you want to go to hogsmeade with me this weekend?
- diane

james looked up from the note to ravenclaw's diane martin, who peered over her shoulder, looking at him with batted eyes and a smile. he smiled back but didn't dare move his head in anyway, incase she took a polite nod for a yes to her invitation.

"well, are you going to say yes?" asked sirius when james got back to his work without a word, leaving his friend hanging.

"no," said james bluntly, he kept on forgetting that it wasn't obvious to sirius or anyone as to why he'd say no to such a beautiful girl like diane.

"what? why not?" asked sirius in genuine surprise, "didn't you snog her back in sixth year?"

"at a party," said james with a shrug, "doesn't mean i want to go on a date with her over a year later."

"i think i know what's going on," said sirius with an understanding tone, which undoubtedly made james nervous.

"you do?"

"i do," nodded sirius, who put his hand on james' shoulder to lean closer to him, "you're nervous incase you have performance issues after lily."

"oh, my- what? no, pads," said james, dropping his head into his hands.

"it's okay," said sirius, mockingly patting james' back.

"believe me, it's not that," assured james, considering he actually hasn't had that problem.

"what is it then?" asked sirius, dropping the joking act.

"i don't want to date anyone," answered james, thinking that was a perfectly valid answer, "don't you have work to do?"

"yeah," answered sirius, who then leaned back on his chair and looked over the classroom to remus, "how cute is he? with his little quill and his little freckles and his -"