eighty five

~*~*~

~*~*~

"i'm not adorable."

~*~*~

they didn't like him, there was no way. every time he went to say something polite, like telling them he wasn't hungry, it sounded blunt and dismissive, which in turn made him sound and look moody and uncaring. he repeated to euphemia that he truly wasn't hurngy and he'd gladly let them eat whilst he plotted an escape, obviously, keeping the last part to himself.

regulus wished they'd just say okay to his refusal of food but they didn't, because they're nice people, too nice, regulus thought. it wasn't necessarily a bad thing but it put regulus off and he didn't know how to act with parental figures that were this accommodating and willing to help and serve him whatever he wanted. it was a nice gesture, but it made him anxious but how could he tell them that? you're making me anxious and uncomfortable by being so nice to me. it sounded ridiculous and honestly, rather sad and depressing. he didn't want to add to the awkwardness.

"are you sure you don't want anything to eat, dear?" asked euphemia, she was clearing the table and she put her hand on his shoulder as she looked down at him with a pleasant expression. regulus just shook his head and shrugged. he was minister, he'd done very unspeakable things, he was either feared or worshiped, but he couldn't simply tell her that he felt overwhelmed by it all.

"i- might- erm i need to go now," said regulus, his voice getting gradually louder as he eventually worked up the courage to speak.

"so soon?" asked euphemia, looking rather let down he was leaving so soon.

"he is the minster, mia, he doesn't have much time on his hands," reasoned fleamont, regulus only nodded and then got up from his seat.

"thanks for having me," said regulus, james got up to see regulus out, but he wanted to speak to him about this dinner that had went bad quicker than he ever thought it would've.

"you could've looked even slightly engaged and that you were listening," said james when he shut the front door so it was only he and regulus on the front porch of the house.

"you could've told them that i didn't want dinner or to stay long," said regulus bitterly, he felt a wave of guilt wash over him and james' frown.

"i'm sorry that i wanted them to meet you properly," said james, although it was sarcastic because he didn't have to apologise for that, of course, "after sirius talking about you for so long and hearing me talk about the person i've fallen in love with, they wanted to meet you. i know, how awful."