forty three

~*~*~

~*~*~

"i didn't want to hurt you, i promise."

~*~*~

much like the season, summer was bright, happy, optimistic and beautiful, she was such a lovely girl with a joyous spirit. however, since regulus' confession, she hadn't been that way. she felt very conflicted and confused as to what to do next, she didn't want to turn her back to regulus, who needed her, but she felt guilty for giving a pardon to a death eater when she swore with all her might that she hated anything to do with voldemort and his cult or his cause.

summer sat alone at breakfast, all the way down the table at the very end, nearest the doors to the greet hall. her brows knitted pensively, toying with the spoon she hadn't used yet, she was looking into space as it seemed and barty had noticed. he wasn't sure whether to ask her if she was alright, or to just pretend he didn't notice her seemingly lost state and act like his usual self. he was going to get up, but then regulus sat across from her, looking quite desperate and just as miserable as she did.

"please talk to me," said regulus, reaching out for her hand that she didn't pull away but she also didn't react in any way either, "i have it all under control."

"no you don't," muttered summer lowly with a shake of her head, "you shouldn't bring others into your mess, like your brother or james."

"sirius and i aren't like how we used to be," said regulus with a scoff, "he isn't being brought into anything because he doesn't want to know me."

"how about james then?" asked summer, pinpointing the main person that was making him feel the most guilty, which wasn't james' fault of course. it was regulus' conscience.

"what about him?"

"well, what do you expect to happen? keep this a secret for however long you two are together?" asked summer to which regulus avoided her judgmental stare, "you're going to have to tell him everything or dump him and make up some excuse."

"i don't want to," said regulus in a pained, extremely saddened voice.

"you don't have much of a choice in that respect," said summer, "the only way you can have both is if he understands what you done and why. however, james is actively against this stuff, you need to do something about it. it's selfish not to."

"i'm scared," admitted regulus, feeling like an idiot for saying it aloud, "i've already lost sirius and you, i don't want to lose james."

"you haven't lost me," said summer quickly, because he most definitely hadn't, "but, you can't stay with james now. miraculously, if he does understand and let's this whole death eater thing slide, then you can, but we both know there is little to no chance of that happening. either you tell him the truth, or let him down easy. not doing it isn't an option."