seventy three

~*~*~

~*~*~

"i did something bad."

~*~*~

regulus walked through the door of grimmauld place and told dobby to stay quiet and he'd show him to his room. dobby positively gleamed at the thought of getting his own room to which regulus decided to just apparate up to where dobby would be sleeping, rather than bring him through the corridor if he and sirius' room where and through the one his cousins, along with ted and nymphadora were sleeping as he didn't want to wake them up.

"you can decorate however you want," said regulus, "but, you can't tell anyone what i got from malfoy manor, okay? you can't tell anyone i was there. i'll figure what to say to narcissa for tomorrow."

narcissa would know regulus was at lucius' because how else would he have met dobby? he had to think of something to say to her, he certainly couldn't say he killed him, albeit it was an accident because he doubted none of them would understand. he hadn't even told them what he'd done to barty, now he had two bodies in his kill count, which he wasn't proud of but it was strange the more he thought of it because he didn't feel bad for either. he felt bad for narcissa and their baby, he didn't want or intend for her to be widowed and for draco's father to die before he even met him, however, he didn't feel bad for lucius or barty, he wondered if that was normal or not.

he left dobby in his new room, next to kreacher's and headed back to his own. it was only quarter to four, he'd only been away for forty five minutes yet it felt like forever after what he'd done to his cousin and his godson. he took his coat off and stripped himself to his boxers and climbed into bed, relieved to feel james' body heat again that warmed him up in an instant.

as he lay there beside the man he loved, he truly thought about what had happened so suddenly that evening and how badly it would affect his relationship with his cousin because could he really lie about something like this? especially since she is pregnant and is expecting in only a few weeks. this truly was an accident, he was only defending himself but would narcissa believe that he simply deflected the killing curse away from himself or would she believe that her little cousin is a cold-hearted murderer? he hoped she wouldn't think that of him, would james? would sirius? as far as regulus is aware, it's difficult, almost impossible, to deflect that kind of curse, never mind without a wand. it sounded like a lie.

"james," said regulus, turning on his side to shake him awake, "i did something bad."

"what?" asked james, being awoken for the second time that evening, "you're back."

"something bad happened," said regulus gravely, looking between he and james' bodies as to avoid his eyes at all costs.