Chapter 4: Strange Occurrences

Y/n's eyes shot open to the distressed beeps of Pair, the sun was just coming up, lighting up the forest as much as it could for how early it was. "What's wrong?" Y/n asked, pulling his M1911 out of its holder.

Pair beeped quietly, but loud enough to be heard. "I'll check it out." He said, looking out the back of the van, the doors were already open, allowing for the cool air to hit his face as he looked outside. He couldn't see anything, but he could definitely hear something.

Slowly, getting up and out of the van with his pistol drawn, he surveys the area. Looking around he doesn't see anything at first until a tall shadow started moving from within the depths of the forest.

Moving to the side of the van for cover, he watched as the figure soon emerged, it was some sort of monster. It had bright red skin, sharp teeth as well as claws and was roughly the size of a lion. Y/n was quick to notice a gem shaped object on the back of its left hand.

The creature had not noticed him yet, but started sniffing, trying to find some cent. Deciding to not take any chances, he jumped from behind cover and landed two shots that hit the creature's chest, he still had the silencer attached to his pistol, he hoped people wouldn't bother investigating the noise later.

The creature roared out in pain and started running towards Y/n. It surprised him with how quick the creature was, but he jumped out of the way just in time and landed another two successful shots in the back of the creature's head, successfully poofing it ... wait.

"What in the hell was that and why did it just disappear into a puff of clouds?" Y/n questioned as he walked up to what remained of the creature, it was a gem, it looked like a Ruby but with weird green spots on it, like it was diseased.

"Pair, the coast is clear but what's this?" Y/n bent down to pick up the gem.

Pair was quick to exit the van, crawling up to Y/n to investigate. "It's ... some sort of gem ... I shot the thing four times and it just ... disappeared ..." Showing the gem to Pair, who scanned it and beeped.

"Yes ... I know it's a gem, but why does it have a form and why did it just poof?!" Y/n questioned the little robot, who simply beeped, meaning that he didn't understand either.

The two of them were stunned by the weird monster they had encountered. After a few minutes, Y/n placed it in the van, right by the back doors. "Keep doing some scans, I need the toilet." Y/n said, walking away into the forest as Pair climbed up into the van and started scanning the gem once again.

It didn't take long for Y/n to return from the forest. "The scans showing anything?" Sitting down as he looked at the little robot that just finished doing another scan. Pair beeped a few times. "So, this thing is alive?" Y/n asked, picking up the gem and looking at it closely. Pair with his usual beeping, suggested that the thing that attacked them was indeed alive.

Before he could ponder the results of the scans, a shrill voice was heard nearby. Y/n was quick to push himself further into the back of the van with Pair and the 'gem'.

"Garnet, there is a human camp nearby, we need to take care of this corrupted gem right now." The voice squawked as two figures could be heard walking relatively close to the van.

"The monster seems to have run off, it should be on the other side of the forest." The other voice said in a British accent.

Y/n stayed quiet, keeping a hold of the 'corrupted gem' in one hand and his pistol in the other as Pair stayed close. He moved his head slightly so he could have a look out of the front window, he caught a glance of the two mysterious people, but only the back of their heads as they disappeared into the forest.