Chapter 70: Confusion for the Fusion

"You guys have some pretty cool stories." Y/n commented as he and the Ruby Squad sat around a fire that Y/n created. It was starting to get dark, but it wasn't dark enough to warrant a trip home, so the Ruby Squad instead told Y/n stories of their previous adventures, including to Neptune.

"Yeah!" Navy cheered, but then had a sudden realisation. "You should come with us!!"

Y/n rubbed his neck, smiling at the kind offer. "As much as I'd like too, I'm required here." He said, feeling slightly guilty.

"That's too bad." Eyeball shrugged. "I bet even the diamonds would've enjoyed your presence."

Y/n smiled again, still somewhat surprised to hear Eyeball's voice as she was never really a talker, more focused on actions rather than words. "You guys never answered my question from before." He said, changing the subject. "What do you think of the Crystal Gems?"

The Rubies looked at each other, clearly unsure of what to say. "I like them!" Leggy cheered, still wearing Y/n's old t-shirt that she loosely wore. "They are really nice."

"Yeah! It's a shame they're a bunch of dirty traitors!" Navy gushed. "Otherwise I'd love to talk to them!"

Y/n chuckled dryly at the words she used, but still listened to the others. "They'd make a great fight!" Army smirked as she punched into the palm of her hand.

Eyeball just grumbled, not interested in talking about the Crystal Gems. "They seem ... Nice." Doc said carefully, not fully sure of herself.

"Well, I'm sure you have enough time to talk to them while you're here." Y/n told. "No pressure of course, but they're nice people, I'm sure you'd get along with them."

The Rubies nodded, but then Leggy raised her hand to ask a question. "Can you tell us about 'hue – mans' ...?" She asked.

"Oh! Of course!" Y/n smiled, and chuckled a bit at her pronunciation. "What would you like to know?"

"Is it true that humans eat rocks?" Doc asked with a serious tone.

"No ...?" Y/n said. "Do ... Gems really believe that?"

Doc blushed and then looked away slightly. "...Yes ..." She muttered.

"Hm ... Well, if you guys want, I can bring some human food next time I come around." Y/n said. "And don't worry, it's not rocks."

"How lovely!" Navy gushed. "Only the higher-ranking gems have got to eat before!"

"We accept this offer!" Doc told as the Rubies mumbled to each other, wondering what food Y/n would bring.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that ..." Y/n mumbled. "I think Peridot and Lapis told me about it when they were trying human food ... Apparently the gem food is blander, I guess?"

"We've never had any food before." Army commented, that was surprisingly nothing to do with punching.

"I'll bring some of my favourite food for ya." Y/n smiled. "Lapis and Peridot like to eat, not often, but still."

"I have a question!" Navy said, raising her hand to ask a question. "Is it true humans start off really small?"

"Mhm, they do." Y/n nodded, earning a surprised gasp from the tiny red gems.

"But ... You're so tall!" Leggy told.

"Yep, but we grow!" Y/n smiled. "We start off really small, and eventually with enough time, and food, our bodies develop."

"Just like other organics." Eyeball commented. "That's why gems are superior."

"I mean ..." Y/n trailed off. "If you say so."