Chapter 17: New Perspectives

Y/n shot up out of bed in a cold sweat, he looked over to a clock that said it was 2:00am. Swinging his legs over the side, he sat there, thinking about the dream.

It was similar to last time in the fact that it wasn't a dream, more like a vivid memory, but why? Why was he remembering things he'd done, things he'd seen ...

Y/n sighed, not really having an answer to the questions that whizzed around his head. He stood up, the lighthouse interior was filled with darkness as he decided to have a coffee, wake himself up.

Y/n made his way to the kitchen, taking note that Pair was nowhere to be seen. "Probably in the workshop." Y/n muttered as he grabbed the kettle, and filled it with water, placing it back to begin heating it up.

After he added the ingredients to a random mug from the cupboard, the kettle pinged, allowing him to pour the hot water in, so he could mix it all together.

Y/n added some milk, completing the concoction. "That hits the spot." He sighed as he felt the warm liquid reach his stomach.

Not much happened as he stood in the kitchen, drinking his coffee. Occasionally glancing around the dark room he inhabited. After a few more sips, the mug was empty, so he set it aside, and changed into some more comfortable clothes.

Once Y/n got changed, he walked downstairs, and out the front door, wanting to clear his mind. The breeze hit him in the face as he stared out to Beach City, bright lights coming from the residencies.

His eyes lead him to the Beach, it was like the ocean was calling him. Y/n took the call, walking down the hill, and onto the beach, dropping to his backside with a thud.

"I can't believe everything that's happened ..." Y/n said, his voice just above a whisper. His mind was far from clear as it ran through everything that had happened to the young man, but it seemed to focus more on this new timeline, how strange it was ... how alien ...

"I guess I should just prepare for all the challenges that I'll face ... I'm sure they'll be plenty." Y/n told, laying down as his eyes searched the stars.

This was familiar to him, Mars was visible ... if it was even called that, the moon ... well, it was night-time so, what could you expect?

"Y/n?" A soft voice called out, breaking him out of his daydream.

Y/n looked over to see who it was, his eyes landed on Pearl with a concerned look on her face. "Oh, hey, Pearl." Y/n greeted, sitting up.

"What're you doing out so late? Humans need their rest." Pearl said.

"Oh, er, I couldn't really sleep ..." Y/n told, earning a hum from Pearl.

Pearl took a seat next to him as they both stared into the ocean. "Did you dream about Lapis?" Pearl questioned.

"No, but ... I do think about her sometimes, wondering if she's okay." Y/n replied, it was true, Lapis was in the back of his mind most of the time, mainly thanks to the display she did with the ocean.

"Well, you did the right thing, I'm sure she's back at Homeworld now, fitting in." Pearl told, still being somewhat guilty about keeping Lapis trapped.

A silence suffocated the two of them as they stared out into the moonlit ocean, watching it peacefully conquer the shore, only for it to retreat soon after.

"I do apologise for my behaviour towards you after the events with Lapis." Pearl said, breaking the silence.

"Its fine, I guess you don't like humans much huh?" Y/n replied with a slight chuckle, surprised that Pearl was apologising out of her own volition, and not because of Steven.