Chapter 37: Too Far

"Log date 7-11-2. It's the third rotation of the Earth since commencements of a..." Peridot inhaled deeply as she spoke into a tape recorder. "...collaborative approach to stopping The Cluster."

"I've finished drawing out the blueprints for the drill head. Peridot, if you could come take a look at this." Pearl said as she, Y/n, Amethyst, and Steven joined the small green gem.

Peridot stops recording on her recorder.

"Remind me again why I should listen to you? Oh, right." Peridot rewinds her tape recorder.

"...The Pearl here has exhibited an aptitude for engineering that I begrudgingly respect, though that doesn't explain the spontaneous singing, crying, singing while crying." The tape recorder Peridot said.

"Why did you give her that?" Pearl asked, looking towards Y/n.

"Well, we did destroy all her stuff. I thought it might make her feel a little better." Y/n admitted.

"You mean you destroyed all her stuff." Amethyst teased.

"Maybe ..." Y/n said.

"Clods! Muddy clods! - running out of ways to say clods!" Peridot fast forwarded the tape recorder, making it say 'Clods' a bunch of times.

"Alright, I chased away those cows, let's get to work." Garnet said, cracking her knuckles as she held a piece of wheat in her mouth.

Peridot cleared her throat. "Before we begin... would you mind un-fusing? It's making me incredibly uncomfortable."

Y/n shook his head. "I'd hate to be you right now."

Garnet then grabbed Peridot and leashed her to a fence that was nearby.

"What?! ... what'd I say?!" Peridot yelled in confusion.

"Do we really have to do that?" Steven asked.

"Her having free reign of the place made me incredibly uncomfortable." Garnet told.

"Fair enough, but ..." Y/n started, thinking for a moment. "She doesn't really know how to talk to people, does she?"

Peridot attempted to reach for a nearby microwave, but the leash held her back, forcing her to struggle to reach it. Meanwhile, Steven, and Amethyst bring a bunch of spare parts to Pearl, who is cutting a turbine with a blowtorch.

"Here you go, Pearl!" Steven said as he gave some parts to Pearl.

"Oh, good. Hmm..." Pearl inspected the parts. "No... No, no, no, no, I said I needed tungsten. Tungsten?" Pearl said, passing the spare parts back to Steven.

"Uh... what does 'tungsten' look like?" Steven questioned with a slight head tilt.

"Don't worry, Pearl." Y/n said as he came over with a few pieces of Tungsten. "I've found a decent amount."

"Excellent Y/n!" Pearl smiled widely. "This should be enough tungsten for the drill!"

"Have we got everything for it then? I can always buy us some stuff if need be." Y/n told, earning a hum of thought from Pearl.

"No, we should have everything for now." Pearl nodded with a smile. "Thank you, Y/n."

"No problem." Y/n smiled, giving a thumbs up. His eyes soon wandered towards Peridot and how she was struggling with the microwave. "Amethyst, Steven, we should probably check on Peridot."

"Can do!" Steven cheered as Amethyst simply shrugged her shoulders.

"I just need some sort of leverage optimizer." Peridot grunted as the three walked up to the frustrated green gem.