Chapter 74: The Human Zoo

"Oh, Doc, what're you doing here?" Y/n asked, looking at the lead Ruby as lay on her back in a flower bed. "You doin' okay?"

"Of course!" Doc responded, sitting up. "I was just doing some thinking!"

"About?" Y/n prodded, looking over to the barn, noticing that the Rubies had made themselves sparce. "You can trust me, y'know."

"I know ..." She responded quietly, fidgeting with her hands. "I ... Really like it here ..."

"That's great!" Y/n beamed. "Does that mean you want to stay?"

"I don't know!" Doc threw her hands up. "Me and the other Rubies had a discussion, but the only one that wants to stay with me is the Newbie!"

"You mean Leggy?" Y/n asked, earning a nod in confirmation. "That's good though, it means you're not alone! But what of the others? Why don't they want to stay?"

"They all think it's a bad idea to stay!" She complained. "First there's the Cluster, and then there's the diamonds!"

"You don't need to worry about the Cluster." Y/n told, reassuring the gem. "Steven bubbled it, so that won't be an issue. As for the diamonds ... I don't think they'd care if you stayed here, look at Peridot, she straight up defied Yellow Diamond, and has she sent warships to shatter her?"

"No ..." Doc sighed, still unsure of what to do.

Y/n sat down next to Doc. "I don't want to sound mean, but under the diamonds, let's be real, you don't mean anything to them." He said. "But here, with us, you'd mean something to us! You can live how you want, when you want, that freedom could be yours."

Y/n placed a hand on Doc's shoulder. "If they don't want to stay then that's their problem, but you have the chance to have some freedom, and even Leggy does too!" He said, but continued. "I'm not gonna force you to stay, it is a scary idea, but at least you get to choose which it is."

Doc let the speech sink in. "Yeah ..." She said quietly. "I'm gonna stay here! And so will Leggy!"

"Awesome!" Y/n smiled. "Welcome to the team!"

Doc hugged Y/n, who quickly returned the embrace. "Thank you, Y/n ... For giving me a choice ..." She whispered, tears pricking at her eyes under the visor.

"Don't mention it, Doc." Y/n smiled.

The two entered a brief silence while they were embraced. "So, when will the others be leaving?" Y/n asked, breaking the silence. "I'm guessing soon?"

Doc separated for a moment. "Yes, I believe Ru- ... Eyeball will be in charge after they leave." She said, using the nickname Y/n gave her to make it easier to understand.

"Hmm, well, I guess I should pay them a visit." Y/n told, standing up, and offering a hand to Doc, who gladly accepted it. "Let's go."

Y/n walked with Doc to the Roaming Eye that was still parked nearby as the sun warmed up his back. The door to the ship was wide open, allowing Y/n and Doc easy access to the ship.

"Y/n!" Navy cheered, running over to hug the tall human's legs. "You're back!"

"That I am." Y/n smiled, patting Navy on the square afro with his free hand. "Doc told me about the discussion you guys had."

As Y/n said this, the other Rubies gathered around. "I told Ruby that we can't stay here!" Eyeball frowned. "We need to serve the diamonds!"

"Sadly I agree Y/n ..." Navy said, pushing her hands together with a pout. "I'd love to hang out with you more, but you're surrounded by filthy traitors."