Chapter 20: Marble Madness

Y/n lay on the sand, bathing in the bright sunlight as Connie, and Steven sat beside him. He had decided to visit Steven, see how things were going for the boy, but was soon begged to stay as Connie introduced something to the two of them.

"Can I open my eyes yet?" Steven asked as he kept his eyes covered because of Connie having a surprise.

"Okay, go ahead." Connie replied.

"BOOOKS!" Steven cheered as he looked at the book Connie was holding. "Woah! Cool cover!"

Y/n looked over to the book Connie was holding. "Unfamiliar Familiar? Sounds cool." He commented.

"I know, right?!" Connie gleefully told. "It's my favourite series! It's about this girl names Lisa and she's a witch! – I mean, she doesn't know she's a witch at first, and she has a familiar, which is sorta like this spirit companion that everyone in the world has. And hers is a talking falcon named Archimicarus! Anyway she goes on this quest to find her father after he's kidnapped by the mysterious one-eyed man." She summarised.

"Woah! Mystery!" Steven smiled in awe.

Y/n chuckled at Steven's reaction. "I'll have to read it." He told.

"Here! Lemme get you started!" Connie cleared her throat as Steven got more comfortable next to Y/n. "Chapter One: The Morning Thief. Lisa awoke with a start, the echoes of her dream still dancing in her mind, the low rumble of thunder murmured through the quiet house-" Connie started, but was soon interrupted by a rumbling sound that seemed to originate from the sky.

"Woah! This is a really good book!" Steven cheered, looking at Connie.

Y/n didn't say anything, but kept his eyes on the sky.

"Uh ... Okay." Connie frowned at the noise, but continued reading. "The house was deathly still. The only sound Lisa could hear was her own heartbeat pounding in her ears. The hairs on her neck tingled when suddenly-"

Y/n was quick to notice an object descending towards them from the sky. "Guys, we should move." Y/n said, interrupting Connie as he stood up, and ushered the children away from the ocean.

A large marble object landed into the ocean, sending a large wave of water in the direction of the three humans, but luckily they had moved away just in time.

"What the-" Steven frowned, looking at the ocean.

"What was that?!" Amethyst shouted as she exited the beach house.

The large marble ball came out from the ocean, sprouting some legs. "It's some large ball ... with legs!" Y/n shouted back as he examined it.

"What?" Connie said confused.

The robot began approaching the three, but Garnet had jumped in front of it. "Amethyst! Pearl!" She shouted, getting the attention of said gems, who jumped down from above, destroying the machine.

Steven formed a bubble around them, stopping the weird blue gel from covering them after the machine exploded.

"You guys okay?" Steven asked as he dissipated the bubble.

"I'm good." Y/n gave a thumbs up as he took a mental note of the ability Steven displayed.

"I love hanging out at your place!" Connie said, dazed out of her mind from the sheer coolness of the gems in action.

"Pearl do you think this was-" Steven was about to ask the tall pale gem, but she interrupted him.

"One of Peridot's machines? Yes I think so, only ... we've never seen one this big before." Pearl responded, obviously deep in thought.