Chapter 26: Joy Ride

"Let's see if we can figure this Crystal out." Y/n told as he walked through the lighthouse door, and down into the workshop.

Y/n had woken up an hour or two ago, even though Steven begged him to stay, Y/n told him that he was busy, much to the dismay of the little boy.

So, after the tall human adorned his armour, and collected Pair, along with pieces of the destroyed ship, he headed back home.

Y/n placed the strange material on the floor next to the table, his primary focus was investigating that odd power source that he had recovered.

"So, Pair ..." Y/n started as he sat at the table, and pulled out the small green crystal. It was roughly the size of his hand, maybe a bit smaller. "You said it was alive?"

Pair scanned it once again through the helmet of Y/n's armour, making sure the previous scan was correct. The results soon popped up, and it indeed said it was alive, but not in the traditional sense.

"So, it's alive, and has the energy output of fusion reactors ... except much smaller." Y/n summarised, earning an equally confused beep from Pair.

Y/n inspected the gem further. "Perhaps it's made in a similar way to gems, but it isn't intelligent, nor has any sort of physical form." He theorised.

Pair beeped in agreement, saying that would make sense as the gem only produces energy, and would've reformed by now if it was a living being.

"What could we use it for? A weapon? Power the lighthouse?" Y/n questioned, having a few ideas on what it could be used for, but need Pair to come throw his hat into the ring.

With a few beeps and boops, Pair explained that they should save the power source, it doesn't seem likely that it will run out, so they should use it for projects that would need a load of energy, perhaps a weapon or even new armour.

"I like the way you think." Y/n smiled as he stood up, and headed up the stairs, planning to keep the gem safe in a lockbox that Y/n had never used.

Once Y/n entered the main room, he stored the gem in the lockbox that was stashed inside a cupboard, but as he did, Y/n remembered about the corrupted gems that he kept contained under the floorboards.

"I should probably give them to the gems, they'll know what to do with them." Y/n told as he lifted the floorboard up and collected the three contained gems.

Y/n picked up the last one which was the corrupted Ruby, the first gem monster he encountered since coming to this timeline, it was still situated within the slightly rusted metal plate while the other two had a more comfortable resting spot inside a metal device that fits around them.

"I'll give them back now, don't want them to be accidently released." Y/n said, quickly placing the floorboard back before he headed down the stairs, and out the front door.

It didn't take long for Y/n to reach the Universe residence, he lightly knocked on the door, alerting the people inside that they had a visitor.

"Oh, Y/n. We were just speaking about you." Pearl smiled as she stepped to the side so Y/n could enter.

"Before we talk about that ..." Y/n said as he walked over to Garnet. "Here, these are the corrupted gems that I captured."

"What're contained in?" Garnet asked as she inspected one of them while Pearl inspected the other two.

"The one that has the Ruby in, was a metal plate I had in case my armour needed repairs ... I just kinda fit it in there ..." Y/n chuckled as Garnet bubbled the Ruby one and sent it off.

"What about the others?" Pearl asked, gesturing to the slimmer, weaker metal used.

"That's just a small device I made ... It fits around the gem to contain it." Y/n told, earning a hum from Pearl.