Chapter 91: Your Mother and Mine

Y/n woke up with a cold sweat, it was dark, quiet, and pretty empty in the Beach house. Very light snoring could be heard from Steven up in his room, and Peridot had secluded herself to the bathroom.

The tired human sat up, having been sleeping on the sofa that the gems kindly allowed him to use, but something felt ... Off, "I guess sleeping problems are quite common for you?" A usual motherly voice said to Y/n,

Like always, Rose didn't appear, she had the ability to, but she found it easier to talk to Y/n in his head, "I'm probably just missing the lighthouse bed," He joked, trying to change the subject,

Rose let out an audible sigh, of course, only Y/n could hear it, "I'm not sure what I can say that would implore you to seek help," She admitted, humans were so difficult, "You do not need to continue to ignore your own feelings,"

Y/n rubbed the back of his neck, it was a difficult subject as he didn't have time to think about any of it, it was easier just to help the gems deal with corrupted monsters or the like, "There's no point, I've got to keep helping the gems and Steven," Y/n said as he stood up and quietly walking over to the door, "Who cares about my feelings? They'll only get in the way,"

Y/n stepped onto the deck of the beach house and over to the railings to lean on. He hadn't checked what time it was, but the moon was still high in the sky, "We all care about your feelings, especially the gems," Rose said as she decided to appear next to Y/n in order to comfort the human better, "I ask of you to speak to the gems, they can help you,"

Y/n was starting to get annoyed at the constant pushing from Rose, "How can they help? None of them has done what I've done, gone through what I've been through," He said, getting increasingly agitated, "They even seemed to dislike humans when I met them! Hell, if I weren't the Sun Goddess, they probably would've ignored me like they do everyone else!"

Y/n gripped the railing, the words he spoke had emotion behind them, but he spoke them louder than he should have, "Y/n I - ..."

Before Rose could speak, the screen door opened, "Y/n?" Steven appeared, "What are you doing up?"

Y/n turned to face the tired boy, "Sorry, I was ... Just thinking,"

Steven rubbed his eyes, "Who were you talking to?" He asked as he looked around, "There's no one else here,"

Y/n coughed awkwardly, "I ... Talk to myself sometimes ..." He said, it was a half-truth, but not the complete truth,

"Oh ..." Steven said, "What were you getting angry about?"

Y/n shook his head, "Not much, I was just getting agitated,"

Steven hummed as he stepped over to stand next to Y/n, peering out to the ocean, "Well ..." Y/n said, hoping to change the subject, "How are things between you and Connie?"

Steven blushed, "I – erm – Things are good!" He told, "We're talking again, and we plan on visiting Lars tomorrow! Or ... Would it be today?"

Y/n chuckled, ruffling his hair, "Let me guess, you like her?"

Steven's blush had somehow managed to get bigger and darker at this question, "I ... Don't know what you mean ..." He tried playing it off as he pressed his fingers together,

"It's pretty obvious what I mean," Y/n smiled, "But hey, I don't judge,"

"To be honest ... I don't know," Steven admitted, "At first, I thought I had some connection to her, but I'm not sure if I do ..."

Y/n nodded, "And that's okay, you don't have to have a connection with every person you meet," He said, "Besides, you're still young, in a few years, you might realise that you do actually like Connie, or you might realise its better to stay friends,"