Chapter 69: The Ruby Squad

"Nice." Y/n told with a thumbs up as watched Peridot stand on a trash can lid, and start to float. "You've found a way to fly."

Y/n was resting against one of the support beams in the main room of the lighthouse while Peridot was a few feet in front of him giggling. "Yes! I can now be incredibly useful on mission!" She smiled widely.

"Awh, Peri, you were always useful." Y/n told as Peridot gradually lowered the trash can lid, and stepped off.

"Then why haven't I been allowed to go on missions?" Peridot pouted as she looked away.

"I don't really know." Y/n shrugged. "I guess it's because you haven't been on Earth for long, so they wanted you to get used to the surroundings and such before going on potentially dangerous missions?"

Peridot hummed for a moment. "I suppose that is the most logical approach ..." She admitted with a defeated sigh.

Y/n realised Peridot's sad expression. "Hey, don't worry, I'll make sure that they start taking you on missions!" He smiled as he walked over to the small green gem, pulling her into a tight up, and making sure to avoid the trash can lid.

Peridot blushed at the sudden contact, returning the embrace whole heartedly. "Wow ... Thanks ..." She mumbled.

The two stayed embraced for a moment, taking in the warmth of the other. "Is Lapis asleep again?" Y/n asked as he separated slightly.

"Yes, she has began to snore." Peridot giggled. "It sounds like this ... 'Snoooorrrreeee'."

Y/n laughed at Peridot's impression, but could also see Lapis snoring. "That sounds about right." He said with a grin plastered on his face. "So, what would like to do?"

Peridot placed a hand on her chin to think. "We could look at some of the parts from the machine you asked me to take apart." She suggested.

"Sounds good." Y/n smiled. "Lead the way."

Peridot giggled as she placed her trash can lid on a nearby table before running to the down, and down the stairs, causing Y/n to quickly follow her.

Once they got downstairs, Pair was quick to beep for Y/n attention. "What's wrong, Pair?" Y/n asked as he crouched down with Peridot next to him.

Pair beeped a couple of times and then displayed a radar on the ground, showing that an object was getting closer. "Hmm ... Something has entered Earth's gravity ..." Y/n pondered on what it could be. "Let's go, Peridot."

"But what about the machine!" Peridot whined, wanting to show off her intellect.

"Next time, but Pair, stay here and look after Lapis." Y/n ordered as he stood up and headed for the stairs, earning a beep in confirmation from the small drone.

Peridot grumbled as she quickly followed Y/n up the stairs, and out the front door. "It's the Ruby Squad!" Y/n told as he pointed at the ship that was heading towards the barn. "They must've realised Jasper isn't on Neptune."

"Now what?" Peridot asked.

"Well, we get the gems, and get them to bring Jasper." Y/n shrugged as he started walking down the hill with Peridot in hot pursuit.

"Ah! I recall the plan you had in case they showed up!" Peridot told as she struggled to keep up with Y/n as the two started running on the sand.

"Yeah! We may as well tell them what happened and go from there!" Y/n responded as the duo ran up the steps and burst into the beach house, much to the surprise of the three gems and one human.

"Y/n! What a surprise to see you and Peridot!" Pearl smiled.

"The Ruby Squad is back!" Y/n told as Peridot was out of breath even though she didn't have to breathe.