Forty Nine

Forty Nine

Bernadette Buenaventura’s:

“Are you signing the divorce papers?”

Inilapag ko ang tasa ng tsaa sa saucer at hinimas ang aking sentido, “I don’t know, I’m thinking of signing it but something stops me.”

“You told me pinapalabas mo lang na mahal mo si Ricardo dahil gusto mong pahirapan si Amanda,” Saad niya sabay de-kwatro, “Are you perhaps truly in love with him this time?”

That made my stomach churn but I forced myself to stay calm. Emotions aren’t going to help me in this situation, “I don’t think so, Bart.”

“How can you be so sure? Eden’s long gone maybe you found a new love in Ricky.” He coughed a laugh, “But he’s a good man so I can say Eden’s good with it.”

I sighed and brought my jaw over my palm, “Are you patching things up with your family?”

His wrinkled eye smiled while he sipped his coffee, “Yes, everything’s doing good. Patricia’s the only one I needed to talk to.”

His eye smile is odd.

Something’s wrong.

“Is now not the right time?” I raised a brow, “The wedding’s coming up. Do it as fast as possible.”

He sighed, “I don’t know. After all this time, I think the sole person that I’m scared to talk to is Patricia. I’ve done a lot of things to her and I made her suffer.”

“Oh shut up Bartolome, don’t be such a drag.” I rolled my eyes, “She’s your daughter, I’m sure she’ll understand.”

“That’s why it’s hard Bernadette, she is my daughter. Do you know how stubborn she is?”

The thought made me think for a bit, “Well, she is stubborn--”

“Bernadette,” He said, looking serious.

“Yes?” I said as I folded my legs. “What is it?”

“I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while now.” Saad niya.

“What?”

“Are you planning something behind my back?”

Nagulat ako.

“Wha—what? Of course not, why would I do that?” I feigned a laugh to hide my shock, “You’ve been a great help to me and Ej.”

“I know,” He looked at me as if measuring my ingenuity, “And to think na ginagawa koi to para kay Eden. I can’t forgive people who stab me in the back, Bernadette.”

This time, I frowned, “I’m on your side Bart, and you know that. We’ve been in this plan since Eden died.”

“I know pero hindi ko maiwasang isipin na baka iniisahan mo ako.” Saad niya.

“You think I can do that to you? Me?” I pointed myself.

“People change,” He said, certain “You’re not that gentle and demure woman I know anymore. You even made this plan to ruin your family’s company.”

I sighed and crossed my arms, “I don’t have a reason to destroy you and your family, okay? Besides your wife is my best friend. Hindi ako ganyan kasama.”

“Okay,” He smirked, “I won’t be doing anything. But I’ll be observing you and your son.”

“If that’s what you want then you’re utmost welcome. I’m not stopping you.” I said nonchalantly, “I’m saying this once and for all. We’re friends and we’ve been in this together… you can trust me.”