58) Held Hostage Pt 3

"I'm sure you're curious as to why you're here." I look at the man in the owl mask.

Well no shit sherlock. Of course I was curious. I mean, they quite literally set up a trap straight out of a cartoon, and I just so happened to walk into it.

I'm probably one of the least assuming and dangerous people in this God forsaken city.

"As I'm sure you're aware, this town is full of people with very colorful hobbies. Take us, for instance. I mean, gangs are all fun and games until a wrench gets thrown into our operations. Like the other night for example. We had set our trap, waiting for a very specific person, and you just so happened to walk into it."

I watch as the man in the bird mask walks closer. He's relaxed, his arms hanging lax with his hands in his pockets.

"But then I figured out just exactly who you were. More specifically, who your family was."

He stops right in front of me, crouching down so that we're eye level.

"You see, your father is a man that we've been on the hunt for, for a very very long time. Every time he's within our grasps, he somehow manages to slip away. And then, by accident, sweet little ol you just so happens to trip right into our clutches. You can't even begin to understand the luck of the timing!"

"What do you want from me?" I ask wearily.

"So the girl can talk." I can hear the smugness in his voice. He puts a hand over my shoulder on the back of the chair so I'm trapped even closer to him. "Your father has screwed us time and time again. Being one of the dirtiest lawyers in town, it's no surprise that he has a bounty on his head. Especially after crossing the BBS gang. Because of him, half of my boys were jailed. I want revenge."

Now I knew who I was dealing with.

Vanoss, aka the leader of BBS, was one of the most feared men in this city. If not the city, then most of the continent. He was ruthless and cold. He killed for the smallest of things. He only cared about power, destruction, and his family. Rumors clung to him like moths to a flame.

I should have recognized him sooner.

"I would honestly love to help you with my prick of a father," I start, but shake my head. "But I was practically dropped from the family. There's a severed connection there. He screwed me over before he screwed half of the people in this city. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be able to help you."

And it was true. When he realized I wasn't going to continue with the so-called "family business", I was kicked out of the house. He pulled strings so I lost my car, my job, my friends and family, everything. He took literally everything from me.

"Then there's a mutual interest here. You see, your father is a simple, materialistic man. I think even he would want to know that his only child was at the mercy of none other than me. Do you want to know why?"

I hated this game. "Why?"

"Simple." His hand moved to gently tuck a piece of my hair behind my ear, his gloved hand stroking the side of my face in a gesture that was so soft and so out of character. It confused me, and made me squirm in my place. "You're the key to tumbling his empire. You're the breeze that'll blow over his house of cards. Not even he can battle the wildfire that comes with a familial betrayal for all to see."

"What are you saying?"

Vanoss stands up. "Imagine the media when it shows that his daughter is in the hands of the BBS gang. Pretty impactful, don't you think? Now, picture what sorts of things would be spread about him if the media found out that she joined by her own volition. It would utterly destroy the man and everything he's built."