29) [Terrorizer] Monster In My Closet

A/N: Thanks to @SkyzDaLumet for this! I really enjoyed writing it~

Kinda a sequal/alternate part of Monster Under My Bed. Annnnnd MC is Irish~

~.~.~.~

The cases I see down here are more complicated. I don't get the fruity, regular 'monster in the closet' sort of cases. I get the harder ones, ones that really make you scratch your head.

Most cases are assigned when a child is young; between the ages of 1 and 6. After that, a child starts to grow and understand the world better, not being nearly as afraid of their surroundings, or of things that go bump in the dark.

So when I was given this case, it even threw me in for a loop.

This Child, Case number #[i] - 894312, from the Irish division.

Her case is just flat out weird.

She's an only child, her legal guardian being her uncle after her mother and father died in a car accident.

At the age 11, she is receiving her first monster. In her younger years, she never had a monster before.

That's not the only weird thing. Her specific fears, or at least from what we've been able to capture, is that of a glowing eye or eyes from a tall silhouetted figure.

Out of all specific things, the literal description of myself has thrown a wrench into my whole day. But this could be fun...

~.~.~.~

She was small.

On her bed, she looked frazzled.

And was very much awake.

Like she was waiting for something.

I hadn't even done anything yet, and she was already humming to herself things like 'it's not real; it won't last; I'm okay'. Why did humans launch into positive lies to soothe themselves? I've never understood that, especially since the things in the dark are far more real than those lies.

Soundlessly I moved out of the closet. Sliding across the ground, I moved to make my shadow bigger, standing in front of her bed. My foot scratched across the ground, gathering the attention of the child. She looked up, her fears starting to churn in her eyes.

And then I opened my glowing eye, letting the red seep into the darkened room.

I realized all too quick, her fear was stemming from something else. It wasn't me or my figure as she believed I was something else entirely. We can smell fear, and it has different tastes. The stench was absolutely horrendous. Usually, we create the fear that gives them shivers, that makes them uncomfortable, not a fear for their absolute livelihood.

And that's when I heard it.

The dull sound of a Tv thrummed through the walls. But even more, the grumbling of a man, drunk by the sounds of the Irish explicatives, shuffles around the house.

A loud thump comes from the walls as something, a remote I assume, gets thrown and the tv turns off.

I turn my head slightly towards the door. The footsteps of the man, heavy and chaotic, make their way towards this room.

Quickly, I step to the side just as the door opens, effectively hiding in the shadows of the door. My face scrunches at how thick the smell of alcohol is as it floods into the room.

And just as the man is revealed, it suddenly makes sense as to why the girl has the specific fear.

The man is a lanky dude, a bit round with a beer gut. On his face was a pair of glasses, and the way the light from behind him hit, it appeared like his eyes were glowing. His hand held a glass beer bottle.

The girl was frozen, eyes wide. She didn't breath.

The man was about to move, and analyzing it before he could, I realized real quick the bottle in his hand was a split second from flying towards the girl. I knew immediately I was going to break my code and intervene. I'm faster, and smarter, and scarier.

Time seemed to slow.

Launching into motion, I caught the bottle mid-air, standing between him and the bed.

Everything froze.

And then I stood up slowly, my back to the girl, staring the man in his drunken stupor.

It takes him a two seconds to realize that I was standing in his way.

"Leave." I command, standing to my fullest height above the man.

He stumbles slightly before nodding and falling backwards. He scrambles out of the door and down the hall.

What I did just sunk in.

Oh god. I broke the rules. Why?

Suddenly, the feeling of something wraps around my waist and presses into my back. I look down to see two pale arms wrapped tightly around me.

They pull away. I turn around and see the little girl with wide eyes.

"You saved me." She whispered. My eye widens as she smiles. "Thanks you."

I blink.

Something in me snapped.

Fuck.

"Do you want to escape?"

When she nodded, I knew I sealed our fate. I was going to take her with me.

She was my child now.

I was going to protect her.