9) [Cartoonz] Fake Boyfriends and Shopping Marts

Rounding the corner, I spotted someone I never wanted to see again.

"Oh, hey (y/n)!" his, for lack of better words, stentorian voice crashed through the store all-too-loud.

Without thinking, I quickly turn around while ducking my head and began speed walking back down the aisle I just came down, almost breaking into a run.

Rounding another corner in a frenzy, I crash into another wall. Panic crawls in my throat.

"Shit! I'm so sorry!"

Looking up, I see a man with a majestic beard, eyes hidden behind sunglasses.

Before I could think about anything, and before he could even respond, the sound of feet following me sends my body into overdrive. I trip around him, heading down the next aisle.

Cursing myself, I regret the decision of not bringing a jacket more than ever. I let my hands drift away to "study" the tortillas in front of me.

"Hey baby, did you get the tortillas?" A rich voice stated, an arm wrapping around my shoulder and pulling me close.

Looking up, ready to run from the hold, I realize it was the guy I just ran into.

"Play along," he mouthed, raising his glasses just enough to wink at me.

My lips curled slightly, before I nodded along, ignoring the blush that was surely staining my cheeks. Leaning into his embrace, I couldn't help but feel a sense of security. Wrapping my free hand around his back, I was fully enveloped in his brace.

"Oh, I was just trying to decide if we wanted full sized ones or the mini ones," I pointed, biting my lip, and trying to resist the urge of glancing over his shoulder to see if my pursuer was after me still.

To my dismay, the same grating voice called me out again. "Hey baby, I knew I recognized that sweet ass."

The stranger turned us to look at my ex.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" he asked. I noticed how he discretely created a barrier between me and the dick slowly walking towards us.

"I should be asking who the hell you are."

"Luke. And I'm (y/n)'s boyfriend." I gripped his shirt tighter, trying to hide the shaking in my hand. In a mocking voice, Luke turned towards my ex. "Now tell me, who the hell are you."

"Deryl, and I was her last boyfriend. Isn't that right sweet cheeks?" He looked at me around Luke, making my skin crawl. "Oh yeah, we had some good ol times. It can still be that way baby."

"Oh yeah? Well i'm her boyfriend now. So why don't you leave her the fuck alone, hm?"

Deryl crossed his arms, scoffing. "Or what?"

Luke pulled away slightly, keeping his right hand on my left shoulder as a form of comfort. I noticed his arm bulge as he made a fist. Holy muscle. "Let's make this real clear. You back the hell away, or I'll beat your ass in half. Right here, right now. I don't like the way you're speaking to my lady, and I won't stand for it. Would you kiss your mama with that mouth of yours? No? Now, apologize to to the pretty lady. Then back the hell off. Last chance."

I held my breath, shocked as Luke defended me. My heart clenched as a small smile came over my face, and the overwhelming feeling of tears threatened to blink past my eyelashes.

Deryl looked at me, and I noticed his tense shoulders. "Look, I'm sorry (y/n). I'll leave you alone."

"For good." Luke emphasized.

"For good." Deryl rolled his eyes.

"Now get the hell out of here. I don't wanna ever see your punk ass bitch self again. Got it?"

"Got it."

"Good." Luke wrapped his arms around me again, pulling me tight against his side.

Deryl rolled his eyes, turning around and stomping away.

A sigh of relief rolled past my lips as I relaxed against Luke, my bright knight with a kickass beard.

"Wow." I mutter softly. "Thank you. I don't know what to say. I don't know what he would have done if- if you weren't- you know."

"Hey, don't sweat it sweet pea. He was a dick and no one should treat a lady like that." Luke finally let go of me, smiling down at me.

"I don't know what to say. Can I repay you somehow?"

"How about give me your phone number. That'll be payment enough. This way, I can show you how a man is really supposed to treat a lady."

Biting my lip, I couldn't resist the urge to glance away.  "No one's ever, you know, been this nice to me."

A warm hand cupped my face, pulling it up so I could look him in the eyes again. I realized his glasses were gone, and my breath caught in the back of my throat as I stared into his beautiful orbs.

"Why don't I escort you around the rest of the market. Just to be sure that prick is gone. And then maybe we can hang out on Saturday."

Smiling with a nod, I happily agree.