Chapter 1

Sweat mingles with the red of Kagon's blood and that of his enemy. This vicious creature has harassed this village long enough, it's time for it to meet its end.

The scaled creature slithers forward, it's sharp pointed tongue hissing at him.

The creature is an oversized python with sleek bright orange scales striped with black.
It's eyes are a vivid yellow, that seem to paralyze the very soul.

Kagon averts his eyes, he would not be caught in the creatures intense glare. His life, the lives of this village, and maybe even all of Pikk depend on his success.

Alas, Kagon isn't worried but confident that he can accomplish this death defying feat. Why should he doubt himself?

He is the one that vanquished the almighty blood Mage, he's the one that tricked the beautiful and blood lusting witch Pierra into drinking poison. He did slay the all powerful emerald dragon and he's done even more then that, so really why should he have doubt?

Many call this acknowledgement of his prowess hubris but Kagon calls it reality. He can do anything.

The python strikes, his pearl white teeth glinting with the slime of yellow poison.

Kagon dives to the right and quickly gets to his feet. He grabs at his scabbard to find it empty of his sword.

"Fates." Kagon curses under his breath.

The hero is weaponless.

"Catch!"

Kagon snatches the knife out of the air and nods to the young fellow that tossed him the weapon. He dives forward and slashes at the creatures neck. Orange blood bubbles from the wound. Kagon jumps back as the blood makes the cobble of the street sizzle.

Getting into another position, Kagon once again slices away and retreats back as the acid blood falls on to the ground. One misstep into the blood and Kagon knows he'll be burnt to the bone and the more wounds inflicted the more blood. What he needs to do is kill the beastie with a single strike.

And so a single strike I'll deliver, Kagon thinks to himself.

He rushes forward and sticks the monster in it's fleshy chest and then runs down the length of the creatures body, Kagon's sharp knife cutting into its skin like butter.

The Python let's out a horrific wail before falling flat, dead on the cobble. The orange blood seems to melt through the ground, the creatures body following after it so all that remains is the destruction the python left behind.

The villagers pour out on to the street, all cheering and giving thanks to the hero. The hero of all the lands.

"We shall have a feast!" One of the men shout.

"Yes a feast!" the villagers heartily agree.

Kagon holds up his hand, "Apologies good people but I have lands to travel and adventures to seek. I must be on my way."

He smiles charmingly at the people. That smile can make women swoon and men settle in agreement to just about anything.

And so the crowd disperses, doing anything the hero asks. But of course they do, is he not their savior?

Only one lone boy remains. He wears breeches, dark brown riding boots, and a white shirt. His coppery-blond hair is tied at the nape of his neck. His face is oval with almond shaped stormy ocean colored eyes, tender pink lips, a pert nose, and rosy cheeks. Overall, Kagon thinks, quite a feminine face for a lad.

The boy steps forward and Kagon immediately understands why.

"I am Raye of Pik, a writer and I'd like to accompany you on your journeys so I may write of your grand adventures so they may be remembered and passed on for generations."

Kagon looks over the girl who he at first thought was a boy, carefully.

She's tall for a girl and her breasts most likely small enough to bind and conceal. However, her pretty face and womanly form cannot trick a man who has had a woman before, even if this woman is not but a girl of around sixteen.

Kagon takes the knife, the girl doesn't even have time to flinch, for in one swift movement he severs the cloth that ties back her hair. The coppery-blond tresses fall wavy, framing her comely face.

"You're a deceitful lass, that's what you are. You may dress in male garbs but I can see your trickery for what it is. You're but a maiden, a young girl is all you are," Then Kagon's eyes narrow, "Unless you are a spiteful young wife trying to escape your husband."

"I am nothing of the sort," her voice now comes out at it's regular pitch.

"And what is your name? I know it not to be Raye. Also, I quite doubt you are a writer. Housework and children are all a woman's duty in this world."

Her eyes sparkle with subdued irritation, "Cordelia, Delia if you may. And yes I am a writer, a writer of the best kind."

Kagon chuckles at the silly wench, "Then come writer Delia, let me take you back to your father or whoever owns you."

Her eyes are a stormy fire, "I will not go back to my keeper, therefore you must take me with you or leave me to me own path."

"My life is dangerous. Tis not a place for a woman or girl for that matter."

"I am no girl sir!"

"Are you married?"

"No.

"Then you are but a child."

"And even if I was a woman would you take me along?"

"No, not even if you were a right beauty. Now enough chit-chat. Where does your guardian stay? It is my duty to present you to him."

"Then you're a coward." Delia says.

Kagon's eyes flare in anger, "If I were not a gentleman I would cuff your ear." He continues, "I have defeated many a beast so I ask you, how can I possibly be a coward?"

"You believe I'll slow you down and I as a girl will be nothing but extra baggage. If you can't handle my extra 'weight' then I suppose your not a hero. Besides I can paint a wondrous picture of your tales through my stories. What better way to be known then as the best hero who ever lived and the only one to have their tale written by a female?" Delia states cleverly.

Kagon ponders this, The girl has a point. Besides, though she is young her attractive features and clever tongue may get me more easily through difficult trials...

"Yes you may join me but be sure to not get in the way." Kagon decides.

Delia suppresses a grin, "Yes I promise." She allows herself to smile, "And where shall we head to first hero?"

Kagon doesn't hesitate in answering, "Wherever fate wishes us, writer Delia."

"And so then I pray that destiny delivers us grand adventures worthy of my pen and parchment."