Chapter 69

Happy Valentine's Day!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Burning engulfs Kagon, his vision tinges with red as he watches Captain Baymont smirk at Delia and his friends.

That snake does not have us in his grasp, he will taste my steel.

The three men's grip on him tightens as Kagon begins to quake from rage. No one demeans Kagon of Pik and his allies.

"Release me Baymont, I'll give you a fair fight." Kagon shouts at the captain.

Captain Baymont turns and cocks his head at the hero with a chuckle. "You idiot." You've had your chance to overtake me as soon as we boarded this ship. I've won. Now I have a brand new ship to accompany me to my destination. Not to mention, a magical ship. So, tell me, why in Gahenna would I give you a chance to regain what you've lost when I don't benefit from it?"

Kagon can only imagine tossing him overboard by his scraggly beard.

"And where exactly are you heading to, mongrel?" Maude snarls. 

Captain Baymont's lip quirk. "The Shadowlands."

Kagon's brows shoot up in confusion. I know why we were going to the Shadowlands, but what possible reason could be leading them there as well?

Delia's eyes widen in unveiled surprise. "You say that you are all about profit, how would that benefit you?"

"I have a fine trading relationship with the Shadowlanders, let's just say that I have a special cargo that they're interested in." He states cryptically. "And now I have The Sea Sorceress to help transport it there."

"What do you plan to do with us then?" Maude growls.

Captain Baymont shrugs with a grin. "Good question. That's one thing I have yet to think about. In the meantime..." His eyes lift to the remaining crew that boarded The Sea Sorceress. "Take them to their cabins." He then stares at Kagon and each of his friends. "If they're good I'll allow them to stay aboard my new ship as guests until I figure out what to do about them."

Beside Kagon, Maude practically froths at the mouth like a mad dog wanting to rip something to shreds. Kagon can relate as he watches a cruel smirk twist its way on to the captain's cracked lips.

Kagon's muscles tense and he's about to go at the captain again, but Delia nudges him with her elbow.

"Don't." She whispers. "If we get into too much trouble now we can never escape. Let them think you're weak."

Kagon's jaw muscles flexes in irritation, but he nods. He even manages to say level headed as the crew of The Dogfish roughly grab him and his friends and escorts them to the cabins at random. They're split up, Kagon and Delia are shoved into Kip's cabin while Maude and Tavius are thrown into Delia's.

As soon as they're inside, Delia runs to Kip's bedside. "Thank the Fates we were put in his cabin. I don't know what they would have done if they'd have found Kip on their own." Delia says, inspecting the boy.

Kagon sighs, running a hand through his golden locks. "Aye, it is a good thing." He agrees. "It is strange that they didn't put us all into different rooms, though."

Kagon watches Delia's head tilt in consideration of his words. "Perhaps its even worse than being completely separated. If one group makes a plan to leave than the others are doomed to stay. However, it is not something I'm worried about, Maude and Tavius fight too much to be able to formulate a plan together."

"Then what about us?"

Kagon watches Delia's face brighten in a pink blush. "Us?"

"We should make our own plan. With my brawn and your brains we could easily escape and take a rowboat to land. We could even get Kip out safely as well, I'm sure of it."

"Oh, well..." Delia hesitates. "I thought you hated fleeing your enemies."

Kagon offers her a blinding smile. "A very clever lass I know keeps drilling it into my head that there are other ways to go at your enemies than facing them head on. Besides, I'll be able to bring Captain Baymont to justice eventually." Kagon assures.

Delia fists the comforters, looking torn.

"Maude and Tavius are both criminals, Delia. We have no ties to either of them." Kagon suppresses the urge to roll his eyes at her. "We need to take care of ourselves and continue what we set out to do. It would be different if Tavius and Maude weren't on a wanted list."

"They're still apart of this journey." Delia says softly. "They're still our friends."

Kagon chuckles. "You've grown much from the wide eyed lass I first met, but you still have much to learn. Maude, Tavius, they'd leave us both within a single heartbeat."

Delia's lips quirk down into a stubborn line. "What about loyalty and the heroic principles you stand for?"

"I told you, they are criminals." Kagon argues back, beginning to become irritated.

Delia squares her shoulders and hardens her face. "I will not betray our friends."

Kagon tosses up his arms in irritation. "I'll carry both you and Kip out if I have to!"

"Or you could leave me and take Kip." Delia fumes. "I'm no asset to a hero that can take down anything." Delia's eyes widen at her own words, but Kagon watches as she sticks to them, folding her arms over her chest.

Where's this coming from all of a sudden? Kagon wonders. The lass can be insecure about herself, but never has she talked of this before.

"I won't stroke your ego, Delia."

Her mouth falls open. "My ego?!"

"Let me finish!" Kagon rushes. "I won't stroke your ego, but I will tell you that I've brought you and kept you along in my journey for a reason. It's difficult for me to admit, but I will say that you've...been a big help to me."

"I suppose that I have saved your life from your own stupidity many a time." Delia says, however her eyes now flicker with amusement.

Kagon laughs heartily. "As have I to you! Now, will you help me make a plan to escape."

"I will." Delia relents. "However, we will save Maude and Tavius as well."

"Oh! Come on, don't be a shrew!"

"No, Kagon, it will be glorious if you save them! Can you imagine my writings about Kagon of Pik, a man so loyal he'd even save the criminals he's allied to!" She persuades.

Though Kagon can see through her clever manipulation with ease, he can see the intellect in her words and finds his head nodding in agreement. Inwardly, he smiles at her cunning. "Fine, fine." He waves a hand. "As long as you will stop bothering me about it." He can't help but chuckle.

At that, they begin to hatch out their plan.

The Sea Sorceress will soon once again be ours and Captain Baymont's head will be rolling in her decks. Of that, I am certain...