Chapter 84

Just a warning, this is pretty much unedited. Sorry, I wanted to get this chapter out and I've been really busy lately.

〰〰〰

"Wake from your slumber! We have news!" Qin bellows, storming into the room.

Kagon sits up from the couch so fast that his head spins, he can see that Delia's reaction is the same.

After all their questions were answered, both hero and scribe got a chance to bathe and replace their travel worn clothes with Shadowlander garb. The two had began napping after the refreshment of their baths in order to regain some energy for the looming battle they were sure to have.

"What's the news?" Delia asks, stumbling off the bed to stand before Qin.

"Come downstairs, the Shadowlander that brought it to us is going to present it to the rest of the rebels." At that, Qin leads the way down the cramped stairwell, leaving Kagon and Delia no other choice but to follow.

As they descend, Kagon is surprised to notice just how big the building is. The hero doesn't care to count the many level they pass whilst going down the stairs. Once they finally reach the ground floor, Kagon is immediately overwhelmed by the swell of rebels packed close together. At the front of the large room is a shorter Shadowlander and Iglesias standing on a long, stout table.

"Is that everyone?" Iglesias asks, upon seeing Qin, Delia, and Kagon's arrival.

"I believe so!" Qin calls as he makes his way to the front, leaving Delia and Kagon to survey from the back of the room.

"Good, alright, Rint. Tell us your news." Iglesias prompts, smiling kindly to the timid looking Shadowlander.

Rint steps forward, twisting a handful of the black church robes that fall slack on his slender form. "Daqa had me send the Primary Sacrifice to the maidservants in order to be prepared for Gahenna's feasting." Rint announces, remaining straight-faced though his voice quavers. "He told me that the sacrifice will occur as soon as darkness falls tonight."

"Is there anything else, Rint?" Iglesias asks.

"Nothing else except that I thought it should be noted that Daqa is surely expecting us to make a move. Oh, and that he has his sights set on finding those that have traveled with Kipdale. He is hoping that the two of them will be a good substitute for the premature loss of the Secondary Sacrifice."

Kagon feels as if he is once again frozen on Mount O'Hare, powerless and cold. If we do not approach this battle with tact, then Delia and I's lives are at the top of Daqa's list to take.

Kagon looks at Delia from the corner of his eyes. The black Shadowlander clothes and the largeness of her cloak seem to swallow her whole as if she is already being consumed by the great pit.

I can't let her die. Kagon locks his jaw stubbornly. I took her from her village to help her, but I think that she has helped me just as much. I can't let her die. He repeats. I have not cared so deeply for someone since the death of my mother.

This realization washes over him like acid. He pushed people out of his everyday life ever since the monstrous beasts murdered his mother. Kagon had even kept away from Heswyn, the woman that saved him all those years ago. His journey had been the blind slashing of a sword until he met Delia.