Chapter 63

Merry Christmas to you all! To all others that celebrate other holidays, I'll simply say, Happy Holidays!

〰〰〰

Leona shifts once more, placing her hand on her lap and looking up at each of the people crowded in her tent. Her eyes hesitate on Maude before she turns her attention to Kagon. "I'll help." Her black eyes glint like precious stones. "For a price." She wiggles her thin brows at the hero.

This is what I get for being so damn handsome. He thinks, nausea pulling at his guts.

Everyone is completely shocked into silence, but it is quickly broken by Leona's loud cackling. "I'm only joking! I'm much too old for that!" She laughs so hard tears spring from her eyes and her cackling turns into hacking.

Kagon's broad shoulders slump in complete relief. I just dodged a rock, there.

Zoya rolls her eyes. "Really?"

"Oh hush, grandchild. Can't a feeble, old woman have her fun? Besides I'll leave all of that to you." She says, eyes knowing.

"I took a vow!" Zoya exclaims.

"So?"

Zoya throws up her arms in exasperation. A chuckle resonates within Kagon's chest. Within the short time I've known Zoya she's been cool and indifferent. It is hilarious to see her this flustered.

Leona waves Zoya's frustration away even though the young woman's yellow eyes still smolder with vexation. "Joking aside, I really do require payment for my assistance." She raises up a bony finger. "However, what I request is simple. I only ask that I am allowed to touch the golden-haired man's temple so I can read into the threads of his future. I am curious to see what my granddaughter sees in this group."

"I suppose..." Kagon trails off, stepping closer to the old woman and then kneeling down so that they're at eye level. He's so close that he can smell the spicy scent of her breath and make out every crease in her dark skin.

Leona reaches out and presses her palm against Kagon's temple. Immediately, the hero's vision turns dark. When she removes her hand seconds later, his eyes refocus. Kagon blinks wearily as if coming out of a deep, hard sleep.

"What did you see?" Delia asks.

Leona's narrow lips form a straight, solemn line. "I understand why you are helping them, Zoya."

"What do you mean?" Delia pesters.

Leona's eyes snap to Delia's. "I know you are a seeker of knowledge dear, but shut up. All of you, be quiet for a moment."

Leona takes a deep breath and it seems like years of silence before she looks up at them. "A very muddled and important future you all have." She pauses, looking at Maude. "....Most of you, that is."

"Hey-" Maude objects, but is cut off.

"Anyway, you need to set sail soon. I'll help you immediately tomorrow. I need to have some time to prepare myself. What you're asking isn't simple. Magic is easy to release, but hard to control."

"Okay, in the morning then." Zoya says.

Leona nods. "Oh, and don't bother slinking out of your father's encampment, grandchild. He'll discover you either way."

Just as she finishes speaking, a young shapeshifter enters the tent and immediately runs out, shouting incomprehensibly.

"Apparently I was wrong, you didn't even have time to be sneaky." Leona chuckles.

"Everyone run, we must leave!" Zoya shouts.

They all speed out of the tent, Leona's loud laughter following after them.