Chapter 64

A double update for you my lovelies! A gift from me to you! I thank you so much for reading my story thus far, I am so incredibly grateful!

~Ashlee
〰〰〰

Delia tosses and turns, exhausted, but unable to sleep. Every time she closes her eyes all she can see is Dacqa's red-violet eyes watching her. She's terrified that she'll be sucked back into that place, where she walks an eternity with Kip and a zombie Kagon by her side.

Finally, Delia gives up and rolls out of the comfort of the furs and on to the dirt. Getting to her feet, she pulls on her boots and exits her tent. Kagon sits alone at the fire, appearing deep in thought. As not to bother him, she moves quietly past him.

I'll just take a short walk, once I muster my courage, I'll try to fall asleep once more.

She treks on the dusty terrain, the motes of dry dirt tickling her nose and causing her to sneeze. For a moment, the dryness to the air and ground reminds her of Lanthos.

I wonder how Iglesias and Maya are doing? I hope they're doing well. She misses her friends, especially Maya. She's the first real girl friend that I've had.

After awhile of walking, she decides to head back to Zoya's encampment.

The memories of Iglesias and Maya have given me courage to face my nightmares. I've faced far worse.

And with that, Delia heads back to her tent. However, when she gets back to the fire, she sees that Kagon is not alone. Zoya sits beside him. Not only that, but he's leaning close to her. Their lips connect, the kiss lasts seconds before Zoya shoves him away.

However, the damage is already done. Delia's heart plummets to the floor, fragmenting into millions of tiny pieces. All can do is run.

Why does it always hurt?

Tears run down her face in fat drops, it feels as if a part of her has been ripped to in half and she is now aching for her missing piece.

Her feet hit the hard packed Earth as she runs to nowhere in particular. She just want be away.

Why does it always hurt?

It is then that she finally realizes something, something that she has been denying for a long time.

I'm in love with Kagon of Pik.

The realization is a whole new kind of agony.

〰〰〰

Delia does not need to wake up the next morning because she's been up all night. For the first half of the night she cried until there weren't ant salty tears left to fall, after that she laid awake, thinking about nothing and everything all at once.

Despite the great ache within her, she hefts herself from her bed of animal fur and goes to meet the others.

The morning darkness encompasses her, only a few glowing logs light her path to the bonfire where most everyone is waiting. The only one still asleep is Maude.

And Kip...She adds forlornly.

"Good morning, sweetheart. How'd you sleep?" Tavius asks when she takes a seat beside him.