Chapter 13

"Haha!" Kagon grins.

The salty air blows through his blond hair and his eyes sparkle joyfully. It has been a week since he heard of the sword. During this time he'd payed off a merchant to allow him to travel with him until they reach Afflon.

Currently the hero is in bliss as the sea rolls serenely in front of him. Just this morning he had finally been able to get over his seasickness and become comfortable with the new environment. And now he is at ease, all thoughts of his writer far from his thoughts.

"Kagon!" One of merchants, Lelk, calls from down on deck.

This particular merchant is an old friend of the hero's. It's part of the reason why he was allowed to travel with them on this ship.

The muscular man turns around to face the old potbellied merchant. A mirthful grin still takes up most of his face. "Yes, Lelk, what is it my good man?"

"Stay away from the edges of the ship if you can help it. There are sea creatures in the water, some are too disdainful to take notice of a small ship like this but others are extremely violent. I advise you to back up a few feet more." Lelk says, looking nervously at how close to the edge Kagon stands.

Kagon's grin shrinks as he carefully backs away from the edge. The ocean may be beautiful and calm looking now but that is what tricks most people. A trick Kagon had learned long ago when he was just a lad.

The hero's good mood seems to be sucked from him and he blanches at the reminder of just how powerful the sea is. Even the cocky hero has a fearful respect for the glimmering turquoise and what lies beneath its misleading surface.

Lelk sighs in relief as Kagon backs down. "Thank you, Kagon you gave me quite a scare there, how you were leaning over the edge and all."

Kagon smiles wanly in response. Yes, the sea is a force to be reckoned with.

"How close until we get to Afflon, anyway?" Kagon asks to keep his mind off of the broad Ocean surrounding him. No land is in sight. And that frankly intimidates the hero.

A land creature belongs on the land, no matter how entrancing the waves of the sea might seem.

"Eh? Oh, about a couple of weeks or so. Afflon is just across from our whole continent of Ko'lk on the map. So, closer then places like D'ar and and Adorra." Lelk explains.

"Yes, I know of maps." Kagon says flippantly. "If only there was land instead of Lividia Ocean to connect the five continents. Of course that is a fool's wish."

Lelk laughs, round belly bouncing with the intensity of his chuckles. "Don't let a pirate hear you make that wish, Kagon! The Ocean is their lover, so they'll surely do away with you if you so much as whisper a word of what you just told me!"

The grin sews itself back on to Kagon's face. "If one of them tries then I'll take his lover and kill the bastard too!"

The two men laugh at the impossibility of it. Replace the Ocean Lividia with land, how completely mad it seems!

The two calm their peal of boisterous laughter, wiping tears from their eyes and cheeks.

"But seriously we must keep a look out for the pirates, especially because this is a merchant ship, though it is smaller than most." Lelk says, the humor gone from his deep base of a voice.

"No worries." Kagon assures the old man. "Pirates is one thing we don't have to worry about while sailing. I can take care of them easily." He cracks his knuckles for affect, still smiling ear to ear.

"Don't be cocky, boy." Lelk says, patting Kagon on the back. "It's what did your father in and it's what will do you in too, if you are not careful."