Chapter 7

Shhchchchchchploooo
Shchchchchchchplooo
Shchchchchchchplooo

Delia rouses from her half-sleep, terrified of the pressing night and the strange sounds that come within it.

Completely paralyzed in fear, Delia doesn't move or speak. Her eyes are open but they might as well be shut for how dark it is.

Far away there's a spark of light that turns into flickering fire as it becomes nearer.

The writer nearly screams. A ghoulish face is illuminated by the light. Sunken, dead dark eyes in a haunting face stare back at her.
Dark hair casts dancing shadows over her features.

Delia huddles into the corner, knees drawn tightly to her chest. The end has come. Her worst nightmare, to die in this cellar still in the talons of her vulture-father and his cronies.

Delia's breathing comes out in shallow breaths.

"A-are you Darknae Lady of Death?"

The face twists into an unreadable expression that is so horrifying in the dim light that it makes Delia flinch.

Another light comes from the distance. The Lady of Death's fire flickers and dies as she puts it out. Delia hears scuttling, cockroaches perhaps?

The second light comes nearer, pig eyes.

"Get up cream-cake your father wants you."

Delia's fear doesn't change but mingles with anger.

Pig eyes opens the cage, at that moment Delia's fight or flight instinct kicks in. With Kagon not there to stop her, she chooses flight.

Pig eyes grabs at her but Delia's height and long legs are an advantage against the thin man. She barrels past him in a mad dash out of the cell.

Without so much of a thought Delia does a quick turn left, trying desperately not to slide on the slimy, gravelly ground.

"Come back!" There is a touch of fear in pig eyes' voice. "Besides, you're going the wrong way!"

Delia ignores this, paying attention only to the steady beat of her feet on the ground.

Soon pig eyes' echoing hollers disappear with the darkness, so all that's left is just that. Just like it was before

Except those words.

I won't allow a coward to travel with me. Kagon's voice spits at her.

〰〰〰

"Huh, haven't been in this situation since those guards in the land of Bele mistook me as one of their prisoners." Kagon jokes to the man next to him.

"Boy, you're about to die, this is no time to joke." The man says gruffly.

Kagon shrugs. "Like I said this isn't the first time that I've been about to die."

The man, Kagon's executioner laughs. His laugh is just like his voice, gruff. "Then you better hope you get out of this situation like you did the others."

"I will." Kagon says. "That's why this is all so laughable."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, you'll see."

"Well I'll give you this boy, you got me to laugh."

The executioner carefully chooses a strong rope and tightens it around Kagon's neck. "If you're going to escape you better act quick son, because you're the first one up."

"I prefer to take my time, thank you."

"Fates you're arrogant." The executioner mutters, pushing Kagon up to the stage.