Chapter 87

The remaining Shadowlanders and rebels all watch from the ground below the dais. Each of them have their own hopes and expectations as to how the wager will turn out. However, in that moment they mingle into one undistinguishable crowd.

The only distinguishable people are those on the dais: Qin, Iglesias, Daqa, Kagon, Delia, and Kip. 

By this point the last visages of red from the sunset had faded and left the sky a stretch of velvety darkness. Only three stars have dared to come out. They watch over the land with their wise and ancient eyes, blinking slowly in what appears to be a twinkle from the naked eye. Even the moon has refused to come out this dangerous and fateful night.

Delia warily watches Daqa as he lights the four torches at the four corners of the dais and begins to set up for the ritual. After a moment, Delia's gaze moves on to find Kip's. He sits on the slab of black stone in preparation for what is to come. The light of the torch's flames cause his amber eyes to burn bright.

Delia walks over to Kip, breaking his solitude. She sits beside him on the rock uncomfortably, and they both look up into the sky. Delia takes notice to the three lone stars in particular, feeling as if they are staring down at her with interest.

It is almost as if I am looking up into the eyes of the three Fates.

A waterfall trickle of cold races down her body. She cannot help but feel that this assumption holds some truth to it.

Though Delia was the one to break Kip's solitude, it is Kip that breaks the silence. "Delia, I want you to take the others and leave now. I don't think I can do this.

Lacing her fingers through Kip's, Delia turns to look at him. She gently squeezes his hand as if trying to share in her faith of him as she speaks. "I've seen you at your worst and your best, haven't I?"

Kip thinks for a moment before nodding his head. "You have, which is why you should know that I can't do this."

"No." Delia says with a small smile quirking up her lips. "It is why I know you can do it. I've seen you do incredible things, conquer odds that were never in your favor, and grow as a person. You have shown me your strength even in your times of weakness. I have faith in you, Kip, and so should you."

Kip looks down at their entwined hands, Delia's words appearing as if they weigh heavily on him. He runs a free hand through his brown hair. Delia leans forward, but stops herself from smoothing down his mussed hair. However, she doesn't move back to her original position. Instead, she watches him carefully, noticing the way his lips pull down in a slight frown and how his eyes dim with stress and fear.

Kip looks up from where he had been staring  at their hands. When his eyes meet Delia's, she can't find it in her to look away. She squeezes his hand once more, trying to smile reassuringly. "Don't be the one to kick yourself when you're already down. Get up instead."

Kip's gaze softens to the point where Delia can see the beginning of tears brimming. However, none fall. "Fates, I love you so much Delia." He speaks as if these words are ropes that had been chaffing against his skin for a long time and he had just been cut free.

Delia feels as if a burst of electricity had frayed all of her nerves. She had looked at Kip for a long time as if he were the same strong, but deadened boy that she first saw. It is only now that Delia truly realizes that she hasn't seen him in that way for awhile. He had changed from that boy, into a friend, and now something more.