Chapter 76

It takes them a week to repair all the damages done to The Dogfish. In that time, Kagon and the others have only focused on fixing the ship. However, now with it being ready to sail the Lividia once more, Kagon can't help but be stressed over the matter of getting the now-freed people back to their homes.

We've gone so far, to turn back now would mean having to postpone this journey and start another. Kagon looks at where Kip and Delia spar together. The boy is healthy and strong now that we are near to Gahenna, but I am afraid it will kill him if we leave the area.

Kagon shakes his head, clearing his thoughts for a moment. We need to all gather and have a conversation. It is the only way that we will figure this all out.

Kagon climbs up the rat lines so that he sees over the heads of everyone around him. He cups one hand to his mouth whilst holding on with the other. "It is high time that we have a meeting on what to do next, especially now that The Dogfish is set for sailing." Kagon calls. "Gather everyone that isn't already on the main deck."

Kagon watches as some of the people scramble to alert others that there is a meeting. After ten minutes, when he feels that everyone is on deck, he clears his throat. Silence falls over the crowd as all eyes focus on him. Kagon can spot Delia's blue-grey eyes trained on him from below, but when he meets them she looks away.

Emotion threatens to show on Kagon's face, but he keeps it away with a sanguine smile. "Alright, so we have two conflicting agendas that need to be addressed." Kagon announces. "Myself, along with my compatriots must go to the Shadowlands in order to fulfill some...business."

Kagon doesn't mention Kip, knowing that the people will be even more afraid of him if they found out that he is a primary sacrifice.

"I also know that all of you people want to return to your respective homes." Kagon says. "Thankfully, we have two ships. However, from conversations I have had with each of you, I know that none of you know how to sail any boat besides a dinghy. That is where things become complicated, so any suggestions you might have would be helpful at this time."

The crowd's silence quickly becomes an uproar.

"I want to go home!"

"We deserve to return to where we belong, going to the Shadowlands means certain death to us all! Just look at us, we're skin and bone!"

"What about the children! My babies will not be killed in order to help you with your suicide mission!"

From the corner of his eye, Kagon sees Maude's reddened face as he angrily shouts at another man. "We are going to the Shadowlands, and any casualties will not be on our hands! This has been our mission from the start and your needs will not hinder us!"

"Everyone keep calm." Kagon hears Delia say, but her voice is easily swallowed up amongst the yelling.

Suddenly, the elderly man that Kagon had identified as the leader of the captured people bangs a fist on a crate, calling for silence. Immediately, the people's shouts dim to a murmur. "Let us not commune like barbarians. Just because we were treated like animals, does not mean that we have to act like them. There is surely a compromise on the horizon, we just need to think through the matter." Though his voice is crackled from age and exhaustion it carries to everyone's ears.

"Thank you." Kagon smiles gratefully, but his mind's thoughts are elsewhere.

I hate all this diplomacy, why can't there be two of me so that one of me can hack at the Shadowlander's while the others return these poor people to their homes....

A young woman with upturned eyes and tanned skin raises her hand. Kagon nods towards her, giving her his permission to speak.

"We have been subjected to harsh treatment, not to mention you already promised that taking us home safely is top priority." The woman states. "However, I understand that you and your friends have your own needs. How about Captain Tavius teaches some of us how to sail, or better yet comes with us?"

Tavius shakes his head as all eyes turn to him imploringly. "My responsibilities lie with Delia and Kagon." He says.

"What about trying to teach us?" The woman asks.

"In spite of that idea being a good one, sweetheart, it would take far to long to teach you all."

"What else then! I want to go home, my wife and son are still in Pik!" A man shouts, enraged.

Kagon sees Delia raise her hand tentatively and immediately calls on her. "Yes, clever lass, tell us your idea." Kagon is so relieved that his shoulders nearly sag. Knowing Delia, she has something helpful to contribute to the situation.

Delia glares at him for a moment before her eyes stare blankly ahead as she states her idea. "This might be a stretch, but we could have everyone not wishing to journey with us to the Shadowlands sail back on The Sea Sorceress. I am sure that the magical capabilities of the ship will easily make the voyage back without any need of anyone's guidance as it can function on its own. The only problem is," she looks at Tavius, "will this be alright with you?"

Everyone turns to Tavius once more. The captain seems to be in deep though for awhile. Kagon can see that he does not like the idea, but that he is mulling over it anyway.

A greedy criminal having to make a decision based on morality! Kagon inwardly scoffs. There is no way a pirate will allow strangers to use his prized ship.

"Fine."

Kagon's eyes widen in bewilderment. "What?" He asks audibly.

"Fine." Tavius restates, his voice stronger and more sure than before. "The Sea Sorceress is the best way out of this argument. You all may use my ship to get back to your homes, I only ask that you hide it in Briney Cove, a cove off of Lithko, once you get back to the continent."

Kagon's jaw drops, still in shock.

Tavius turns to Kagon, so the hero swiftly adjusts himself in order not to look so flabbergasted. "I'll need help from the people in order to set The Dogfish off from this port considering there is not enough of us to do it alone. Otherwise, I think between Delia, Kip, Maude, and you we can handle it from there." Tavius' lip tug up into his signature lopsided smirk. "Does that sound good?"

Everyone cheers happily and all Kagon can do is bob his head. His mind still can't comprehend the pirate's selfless act. After a few more moment, Kagon internally grins. Maybe not all criminals are quite rotten to the core. I respect your decision, Captain Tavius. But of course I'll never tell you that.

"It's all settled then." Kagon grins. "I say we drain the rest of The Dogfish's preserves of liquor in celebration!"

The cheers of agreement are so loud that Kagon is sure that all the many islands making up the Kingdom of Za can easily hear it without  any strain.