Chapter 22

This took sooooo long to put up, I'm so sorry it did! It's because I had a bunch of different appointments so I missed some school and had to make it up.

And then when I finally got around to trying to update and was about to publish, Wattpad completely crashed on me! I thought I lost everything, but thankfully everything seems to be back in order now. Did this happen to any of you?

Thank you all so much for reading this far. Hope you love this chapter!

~Ashlee💕

〰〰〰

"Up ahead!" One of the younger men, Xelin shout, pointing a finger to objects in the far off distance.

Rissa practically tackles him to the ground, her hand covering his mouth to silence him. "Do you wish to die?  You very well know how sounds echo near the mountains.  If we alert them of our presence we'll have no chance.  The only true advantage we have is surprise."

The Xelin nods and Rissa uncovers his mouth, staring pointedly at the group. "Hushed voices, all of you."

"Yes, ma'am." Some people stutter out.

Timid Maya is not intimidated, however. Seeing Delia looking at her strangely she answers the unspoken question written on her face, "Rissa just wants the best for everyone.  She may act strict sometimes, but that's just because she cares about all of our safety.  I don't think she'd forgive herself if anything bad happened to us all."

Delia only nods, unsure of exactly what to say back to that.

"Now," Rissa says, "we need to make a plan and form a base before anything.  So if we ever need to retreat we have a place to meet at. Any suggestions?"

"The mountains." Maya says quietly.

Delia gives the dark haired girl a sidelong glance.  Her idea is a smart one, so why not speak up?  She can't help but wonder if Maya was like this before all those bad things happened to her.  Was she always this quiet, timid girl?  Or is she like....Kipdale.

Kipdale.

Just the thought of his name clears her mind of all other thoughts.  She can't help but wonder if he ended up staying at the village or going off on his own.  If he stayed she hopes Nandef isn't giving him any trouble.  Either way....

I hope he's okay...

"What did you say, Maya?" Rissa asks, hearing that she had said something.  

Delia shakes her head, warding off any thoughts, she needs to pay attention in order not to get hurt during all of this.  Hurt or die.

"I-I just said we should go into the mountains." Maya stutters. Rissa smiles, encouraging the girl to go on.  It is one of the few smiles Delia has saw on her.

Maya gulps and continues. Th-they don't know it as well as all of us do, being natives and all."  Her face turns a light pink and her eyes stare at the rocky ground.

"That's a good idea." Rissa compliments. "Not to mention we have a good height advantage.  If they find and attack us before we are able to get the chance, we'll see them coming." Rissa nods, Delia can practically see the ideas and possibilities floating in her head. "That will be perfect."

Maya's blush deepens in embarrassment, but still a tiny smiles graces her face. 

"That was a good idea." Delia whispers to her shorter friend.