Chapter 18

A light breeze ruffles the hero's blond hair. The boat rocks and sways with the wind. Everything is peaceful, serene even.

Kagon feels like he's going to be sick.

It's been two and a half days now since he set off on his quest. The journey so far has been
un-noteworthy. Nothing has happened. No monsters have attacked, no elves have tried to stop him. This is not how Kagon thought things would be.

He's hunting for a sword, the best sword ever made! And yet not a thing has gotten in his way or tried to stop him! It is astounding. Astounding and utterly boring.

Kagon swipes his hair out of his cyan eyes. It's ridiculous really.

The lack of adventure is getting to him.

He was expecting attacks, harsh waters and travel! Not a calm river and light breezes!

The hero slumps in his seat. At least when he was at sea the danger was always high. The only danger now is that his boat might tip, but that's not going to happen through this smooth river.

Kagon sighs angrily through his nose. Hopefully when he arrives at the older parts of Afflon to search on foot, there will be more danger.  If not Kagon just might pull his hair out and end up as hairless as Delia's father, Davel.

Kagon suddenly grins.  Now that was an adventure!

Or when he killed that ice beast on Mount O'Hare.

Or even the beast I fought when I first found Delia. Kagon thinks. All of those were fine adventures. Now if only this quest will become one.

Another sigh from the arrogant man and he's studying the map. According to the map he should be nearing the older parts of Afflon after he clears these falls.

Falls!

Kagon looks up from his map, eyes widening to the size of apples. Up ahead the water moves faster and rocks jut from out of the river like broken bones. Past that the river stops and becomes a teapot, pouring water into the open air and down.

Instead of worry Kagon's face shines radiantly with delight. It's an adventure served like dessert just for him.

Finally....

And then his little rowboat hits the rushing water, nearly smashing against one of the jutting rocks.

Adrenaline pours into Kagon and he forces the boat to maneuver through the rocks.  If he isn't careful his boat will smash to bits and all that will be left of it will be wooden shards.

The hero manages to travel around and through the pointed rocks unscathed.  But as the river ends, opening to empty air, Kagon isn't so sure if he'll stay unscathed by the end of it.

Taking a deep breath Kagon quickly makes sure himself and all of the items on the rowboat are secured and safe.

And when the water tumbles downward, Kagon find his ship riding along with it.

As he falls the hero relishes the feel of the air rushing past his face and the cool spray from the waterfall wetting his skin and clothes.

It ends all too soon.  Kagon's boat neatly plops back into the river and he's back on his merry way.

How could falling down a waterfall be so safe and easy?!

Turning in his seat Kagon gets his answer.  The waterfall Kagon fell down is only a couple feet tall.

What a small blip of a waterfall. He pouts. 

His boat hits empty air and he's falling down another waterfall, this one as small as the other.

Kagon grins as he gets a glance of the sequence of mini waterfalls ahead of him.

This will do fine.

The next hour or so is filled with laughter. Kagon's laughter.

When it all ends the smile is still apparent on Kagon's face. It only widens when his boat clunks against the shore. He takes a look at his map. He has arrived at the older parts of Afflon.

Kagon hops out of the boat and pulls it up on land more, so it won't be swept away by the current. Once done with that he grabs his supplies and sets off in search for the sword.

I'll find it, easy.

〰〰〰

Kagon does not find it easy.

The hero runs a hand through his sweaty hair.  The longish locks are in need of a trim, along with the scruff on his face.  But sonetimes hero's and adventurers like himself have to deal with not being well-groomed.

But back on subject. Kagon snaps out of it.

He's been searching for that damned sword for hours now without any hint or clue to its location.  But then again it has been hidden for a long time, so there's a reason why it hadn't been found. 

This, however, does not deter Kagon.  It does frustrate him though.  He can slay any beast, but finding things are not as simple.  Still, he refuses to leave until he finds it.  The benefits he'll reap when Kagon does attain it are too good for him to even think about giving up.
Giving up....

You gave up on Delia...

Kagon shakes the strange thought away. 

Hero's don't have regret! 

But that's not true, is it?

Kagon's head hits against the trunk of a tree, successfully knocking the thoughts away with the slight pain. With the thoughts gone, he continues his quest.

It doesn't last long, though. He soon has to turn in as the sky begins to darken. Before it can completely turn into night, Kagon sets up camp and starts a fire, a fish he caught earlier cooking on a spit.

When night comes Kagon's belly is full from salmon, but his eyes do not weigh down from tiredness. So he sits, poking at the fire. The stars are his only companion.

In the loneliness of the night Kagon finds himself wishing that someone is sitting beside him.

That's strange. I used to travel alone all the time...Is Delia the reason? Then how did I not feel this before?

The answer presents itself quickly enough. Even when Delia was gone he was traveling with people, more specifically the merchants.

Either way it is a strange feeling, one he has not felt in a long time. Not since his mother died from a monster attack after his father disappeared when he was just a mere boy. He was close to Delia's age when it happened, maybe a year younger. But loosing both parents like that at such a memorable age is something he will never be able to forget.

Kagon chuckles without amusement or bitterness. It was soon after that, that he began his days as an adventurer and hero. He wanted to protect defenseless people from the beasts and baddies that roam.

He used to think that if he destroyed enough evil that maybe, just maybe he could forget and forgive himself....

"That is enough." Kagon says to no one.

To keep the old friend of loneliness --and yes, sadness-- away he takes a swig of the whiskey in his pouch. It helps to dispel the feelings some, enough that exhaustion at last befalls him.

Tucking the canteen back into his pouch Kagon crawls into his cramped, narrow tent and shuts his eyes. But now not even the stars can keep him company.