Chapter 45

The book makes a light thump as it falls to the wooden table.

Delia, Thil, and Heswyn all gather around the table. Kagon can tell from the expression on Delia's face that she's anxious.

Kagon stands back, arms crossed. "There's your precious book Heswyn." He says with his lips curving into a teasing smirk.

Heswyn ignores the hero's remark and flips the book open to its index. Her pointer finger trails down the list until stopping at Life-leech, pg. 123-125.  The librarian swiftly thumbs through the pages until she reaches the correct one.

I hope she finds something of use. Kagon thinks as he watches her scan the pages.

"Alright." Everyone looks up, intrigued. "I think I found a way to bring Kip out of his unconscious state."

"Get on with it." Kagon urges.

Heswyn rolls her eyes at his impatience, but continues nonetheless. "Well, the life-leech stole much of Kip's life force and there is hardly a way to completely restore that. The creature must of shaved off a couple of years of Kip's lifespan as well. However, there is a way to restore some of his energy. Right now Kip's whole body is in a slow state. He needs a," Heswyn struggles for words, "a kind of shock to get his body's mechanisms back up to speed."

"That makes sense." Thil says, bobbing his head in thought. "I've heard that electric shocks can revive people."

"I wouldn't go that far, nephew. Our Kip here isn't dead as of yet." Heswyn says. "But a shock of a smaller caliber will probably be needed in order to bring his body up to par."

"How will we manage that?" Delia questions.

Thil grins, pushing his wire glasses up his nose. "Leave that to me, friends. This kind of thing is what I specialize in."

Delia looks at the scientist suspiciously. "Kip is not a test subject, but a human being like the rest of us. Please remember that before carrying out any harebrained experiments."

Kagon can't help but feel proud of his scribe.

"Of course I will." Thil reassures. "You have nothing to worry about, Miss Delia."

"So, what are you thinking?"  Heswyn asks.

"Put him out in a lightning storm and see what happens."

Delia's eyes become the size of the full moon and her rosy cheeks pale significantly.  "Don't you dare!"

Thil chuckles.  "It was only a joke."

Delia grumbles something under her breath that Kagon can't quite make out, causing him to smile.

"A stimulant could be used as well."  Heswyn suggests.  "There are plenty of plants that can be used to stimulate the body and quicken its systems."

Thil considers this.  "I suppose..."

Kagon can't help but notice the man's dislike of the idea.  Apparently shocking somebody appears less boring to the lad.

"It does sound less dangerous."  Delia pipes up.

"It does."  Thil relents, seeming a bit put-off by the prospect.