Chapter 57

Happy Halloween!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Delia adjusts the dress in the dirty bathroom, a frown tugging at her lips. The dress is a deep maroon with thick straps that come off the shoulder. The dress itself is pretty, but Delia hates the way the neckline swoops down to show the little amount of cleavage she has. She also dislikes the low back which comes down to mid back. Not to mention, it is very form fitting. It hugs at her torso and hips before flaring out just below her behind in bunches of the soft fabric.

In an attempt to hide how low the neckline is, she undoes her damp braid --she had taken a bath earlier and her hair isn't completely dry-- and takes a comb to the tangles.  Her hair has grown since she met Kagon, it now hangs in thick coppery-blond waves to just below her breasts.  After working through the tangles, she then looks back into the mirror, her hair does not do much to hide the low neckline, but Delia feels more shielded, nonetheless.

She bites her lower lip for a moment before nodding with determination.  I've adventurer with Kagon --her heart twinges with guilt at the though of him, but she ignores it--conquering evils for months now, so surely I can conquer a silly dress. 

At that, she spins on her heel and struts out the door where her three associates are waiting in the hall.  Her eyes first land on Kagon, she feels her heartbeat halt and then quicken at the sight of him, not only because of her guilt, but because of his appearance.

Kagon's blonde hair had been combed, so it looks smooth and soft.  The beginnings of a beard had been trimmed to only a light dotting of stubble on his jawline.  His eyes, which had been a pair of dull blue stones, now shine like gems.   Not to mention, he wears dashing clothing fit for a wealthier gentleman of the city.  This includes black trousers, dark brown boots, and a flowy navy shirt tucked into his pants.  A grey wolf's fur had also been tied around his waist, a style that had been adopted from Roaria.

When she is finally able to look away, Delia noticed that Kip and Maude are dressed similarly, but in different colors and fabrics.  She can't help but note how the style does not fit them as well as it dues on Kagon.

"Delia." Kip says, which draws the other two's attention to her.

She can feel her face heat up, but she refuses to drop her gaze.  "Yes, hello."  She says, trying to seem like she doesn't feel vulnerable and embarrassed in her new apparel.

Maude looks at her critically for a moment, before bobbing his head.  "Yes, that will do.  However, you still look a bit too much like a prostitute."

Delia's blush darkens, partially out of anger.  "Does it matter?  The women hardly have no other choice but to give away their bodies here, it's the only way they can make a living."  Delia defends.

Maude rolls his single eye.  "That's not what I meant, so calm down.  I was just trying to say that they won't take you seriously if they believe that you're a prostitute."

"Oh."  She says in a small voice. 

I'm just way too on edge.  Maude's right, I need to take a breath and calm down.

Delia sucks in a deep breath, her chest rising and then falling as she exhales.  "What do you purpose then?"

Kip takes the black wolf fur he has from around his waist and hands it to Delia, but his eyes don't meet hers and he stares at the ground instead. All she can see of his head is his dark hair and his bright red ears.  "Use it like one of those things women place around their shoulders."

"You mean a shawl?"

"Yeah, that."

Delia takes the soft black fur and wraps it around her shoulders, instantly she feels less vulnerable and naked.  She lets out a long sigh of relief.  "Much better."  She smiles happily only for it to falter when she finds that Kagon is looking at her with a strange expression on his face.

She looks away from him, clearing her throat.  "Shall we head down to the bar and begin our interviews then?"

"Yes, let's go."  Kagon says, his voice low and husky.

〰〰〰

Delia leans against a wooden support, the fur carefully draped around her as if she's afraid it will slide off her shoulders at any given moment. She watches the three men, her companions, sit at a table in the center of the tavern and interview the most crooked looking men she has ever seen.

They haven't found a perfect candidate yet, and they've been interviewing since the morning. It's night now, the sky is a dark blue and not even the stars can be seen. At least, that's what it looked like the last time Delia had gone outside --about an hour ago to breath some not-so-fresh air.

She adjusts the wolf fur once more and fidgets with her hair, feeling anxious and bored all at once.

"Good evening, love."

Startled, Delia looks up to meet the bright sea foam green eyes of a man that looks only a little bit older than her.  He's a tall and lanky man with light brown skin and wind blown chocolate brown hair.  Despite his attractive appearance, it is obvious to Delia that he is a pirate.  He wears a loose white shirt tucked under his breeches, brown boots, and a battered black coat that nearly reaches his knees. 

The pirate fixes his cocked brown hat and offers her a sideways grin when she doesn't answer immediately.  "Are you shy, sweetheart?"

Steeling herself, Delia shakes her head. "Not really."  She pulls the furs tighter around her.  "What do you want."

The young pirate only smiles.  "I can't just talk to a pretty girl without expecting a thing?"

Delia can feel herself blush.  "Everybody wants something."

"Huh, you're clever.  I never thought of it that way."  He extends his hand and studies the rings adorning his fingers.  "But, you're right.  If it ain't jewels and gold coins, it's something else."  He chuckles.

"So, what is it?"  Delia asks, looking at him suspiciously.

He lifts one shoulder in a lazy shrug.  "A civilized conversation, I suppose.  What you're name, love?"

"Cordelia of Pik, but most call me Delia." She states levelly.  "What about you?"

"I'm X-Tavius of Nowhere, but I'm known to friends and enemies as simply Tavius."

Delia nods, but otherwise does not say anything.

"It's a long voyage from Pik.  What are you doing in the Capital of Sin?"

"Are you a pirate, Tavius?"  She asks abruptly.

Tavius sends her a lopsided smirk, adjusting the rapier at his belt.  "If you couldn't tell, yes."

Delia smiles for the first time.  "And are you up for a challenge?"

Tavius's eyes spark with intrigue.  "Definitely."

"Then if you want to know why I'm here, then talk to the three men at the table."

Tavius dips his hat dramatically.  "I'll do just that, Delia."

Once he's gone she smiles inwardly.  She never thought that she'd meet a pirate, she never even dreamed of it.

The girl watches with interest as Tavius speaks with her three friends.  From the looks on their faces, she can tell that a deal has been struck with the pirate.  They're going to the Shadowlands and they have Tavius as their captain.