Chapter 78

I'm sorry for the late update guys! I just finished finals on Wednesday and have been running around like crazy since then. Anyway, here ya go! I hope you all enjoy!:) Oh an be sure to look at the additional Author's Note at the end of the chapter. Don't, worry, it's short:)

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

The sea breeze wafts through Kagon's golden hair as his equally golden sword flicks out and intercepts an attack from Delia's Roarian dagger.

Thankfully they had found all of their weapons stocked away in Captain Baymont's old captain's cabin. Now with them restored, Kagon has once again taken up teaching swordplay to Delia and Kip as well.

Kagon raises his sword, deflecting another hit. However, this time it is from Kip. The lad's serrated blade drags along Kagon's sword, causing a high pitched, metallic screech to pierce the air.

With Kagon distracted, Delia goes in with her dagger. The hero attempts to shake Kip off and dodge Delia's dagger, but Kip stands solid and uses the serrations on his blade to hook on to Kagon's sword. Kagon tries to wrench his sword out of where Kip had hooked it. Before he can, Delia swiftly goes in for an opening. The sharp tip of her Roarian blade hovers at his jugular, Kagon can just feel the cool kiss of the metal tip on his flesh.

Delia retracts the dagger from his throat and grins at Kip. Much to Kagon's surprise, the lad smiles back. Kip never smiled much before he fell into unconsciousness in Roaria, but ever since he succumbed to the power of Gahenna and killed Baymont's crew those smiles have become even more scarce.

Putting aside his annoyance of being bested, Kagon dons a broad, proud grin. "Great job you two!" He claps them on the back. "You both have improved much. Now that you've been able to beat me as a team, I am sure you can individually best any Shadowlander."

As Maude passes them, Kagon sees the stout man roll his single eye.

"What?" Kagon questions with an edge to his tone. "Do you not agree?"

Maude turns and scowls at the hero. "Delia told me that you fought Shadowlanders in Lanthos. However, it will be much different fighting them in their homeland when they have the advantage. We may be able to there safely with The Dogfish since the Shadowlanders are expecting cargo from this ship, but to go in with swords raised for battle is foolish. We are severely outmanned, this whole trip is a suicide mission."

"If you think so, then why did you join us?" Delia challenges.

Maude chuckles. "With the curse of Gahenna's Shadow Stain I could feel that I was going to die soon, so risking my life really does not matter to me. At least I know that I died trying, I'm sure that Kip feels the same. However, the rest of you will be dying for nothing. Worse yet, you'll die for someone else's cause."

"No." Delia glowers. "This is not just your and Kip's cause anymore, it is all of ours now. In spite of what you say, you are our friend as is Kip. We fight the Shadowlanders not for you, but with you and for the sake of halting the encroaching darkness of Gahenna's power."

"You're foolish." Maude guffaws. "If I were you, I'd leave now. But of course, I'll accept your selflessness, just not your optimism." At that, he continues walking to the stairs leading down to the cabins before disappearing through the door.