Chapter 59

Kagon's heart thumps within him, beating to the rhythm of his footsteps as he dances away from the slash of Kip's sword.  The boy grips on to the wire-bound wooden handle, brows crumpled in complete concentration.

From the sidelines, Delia sits and leans against the main mast, studying from a huge book.

She really meant what she said three nights ago.  Kagon thinks as he delivers his own attack, drawn back into the heat of his duel.

The lad has improved much.  Kagon thinks with a wry smile.  But he is still no match for me.

Out of the corner of his eye, Kagon watches as Captian X-Tavius swings and drops down from the rigging and on to the main deck.

"Good day, fair Delia."  Tavius takes off his hat and presses it to his chest as he bows slightly.

Her grey eyes almost regretfully leave the pages as she looks up at him.  Realization crosses her face and she flushes a light pink.  "Good day to you as well."  She answers shortly.

Tavius sends her a devilish smirk that has Kagon thrown for a loop with the emotions he feels.  It's not the green of envy, but something quite different.  Protectiveness...?

Kagon reels at the feeling of cold steel on his arm where the blunt side of Kip's blade meets his skin.  "I win."  The boy announces in a an even tone.

Kagon shakes off his thoughts and feeling, offering the boy a shaky chuckle.  "I was being easy on you."  He says, not wanting to admit that he was not concentrating as much as usual.

Kip's amber gaze stares into his own, unwavering.  "You're never easy on me."

Kagon blinks and looks away.  "Well, I was this time!  Alright?"

Kip only shrugs and saunters over to his mug where he gulps down the liquid inside.

Perturbed and thorny at his loss, Kagon traipses over to Delia and Tavius,  swinging an arm around the pirate captain.  "What are we talking about?"

Tavius brushes off Kagon's arm from his shoulders.  "If you don't mind, I don't like being touched, mate."

Ever shrewish, Delia regards him, looking determined and stubborn.  "Tavius was just offering me the opportunity to learn better how to fight."  She jabs, time cool as she scrutinizes his facial response.

Kagon's hands turn into fists as he matches her iron-will with his.  However, it is not her that he's angry at.  He turns to Tavius.  He's so close to the pirate that he can see the thin scar that causes his smiles to be so crooked.  "She's a lass, just a girl."

"A woman."  Tavius corrects.

Kagon can almost feel his ears and face turn the color of the setting sun.  "Either way!"  He snaps.  "Girls should not be allowed to fight."

Tavius eyes the Roarian dagger at her thigh before glancing at Kagon, a slow lopsided grin conquering his lips.  "Then why allow her to keep that dagger, why let her travel with you, and be by your side through all of your dangerous quests if you truly believe that?"

Kagon is at a loss for words.

"Besides, you're just the hero that she's writing a story about.  It's nothing personal, right?"

"Tavius-"  Delia attempts to to interject.

"Teach her to fight then, it is no matter to me."  Kagon says, voice suddenly calm as his face returns back to its regular shade.  Then, he focuses on Delia.  "Be careful of your friend, he is a criminal.  Don't you ever forget that."