Chapter 61

Sorry, this update has taken longer than expected. A lot is going on around me right now and through it all every time I had a shred of free time, I didn't have it in me to write. In spite of it all, I was finally able to sit down and get inspiration. This chapter is a product of that. Though it is tardy, I hope you enjoy!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Delia's eyes open to darkness. She feels like she's falling and yet the ground is solid. Panic and fear course through her body, as the falling feeling suddenly changes into claustrophobia with the realization of the hard-packed ground at her back. She thrashes and churns, feeling as if the darkness is a heavy slab of stone, crushing her body until it it is nothing.

A cool, calloused hand touches her arm. Delia's body jerks, and immediately she moves to a sitting-up position. Her mind's shackles release her from the sudden spike of adrenaline that rushes through her. Delia swings her arm, ready to defend herself, but it is quickly caught and forced to her side.

"Who knew that the porcelain dolls of Pik have a warrior side to them?" A rich feminine voice states, with a tone part mocking and part grudging respect. 

The woman drops Delia's arm, stepping away from her and closer to the dancing flames of the bonfire.  The light allows Delia to make out a vague outline of her features.  The woman's dark skin and yellow eyes glint and flicker like the fire, the red-orange light highlighting her high cheek bones, and causing her mane of golden brown hair to glow.

"Who are you, where are my friends, and why am I out here?" Delia questions, suspicion and distrust coating her every word.

"I am Zoya." Zoya juts her chin towards the tents loosely encircling the bonfire. "Your friends along with my huntresses are safe at rest in the shelters and you're outside because the night air of the full moon is better than any medicine."

Delia touches her fingers to her head, suddenly overwhelmed by a splitting headache.  She lets out a pain-filled groan.  "Where even am I?"  The last thing she remembers she was on The Sea Sorceress studying from her book and then....

Fates, the storm!

She remember now, it comes clanging through her head with a piercing clarity.  Her head throbs with the sharpness of her migraine.

"You are in Roaria."  The woman says, tucking a piece of her wild hair behind her ear.  "I found your companions stumbling across my father's land with you and a boy in their arms.  They said that you were both injured."

"Another boy?"  Delia repeats, then her eyes widen. "Kip?! Is he okay?"

"Ah yes, that was his name." Zoya bobs her head. "As for whether or not he is fine....it is hard to explain. You will have to see for yourself."

Delia quickly totters to her feet, dizzy bit pushing through the blur. "Please show me to him."

Zoya dips her head. The few steps it takes to get to Kip's tent, Delia is able get a glimpse of the elegant and easy tread each of Zoya's footsteps embodies. The regal tilt to the Roarian's chin and the confidence that shines through her every movement reminds her of the Amazons. However, there is something about her that is much different from the Amazon's too. Delia squints her eyes as if that can help her see the difference.

Suddenly, Zoya turns and pushes the tent flaps aside for Delia. Promptly, Delia turns red and immediately stops squinting her face like a blind old hag. However, Zoya does not seem judging and only continues to hold open the tent flaps until Delia finally ducks past them and into the tent.