Epilogue

"The end." Delia closes the large, leather bound book on her lap. She looks up at her two children, only to see that Kagon and Kip had entered the room without her knowledge. Delia smiles at the two. They must have just gotten back from slaying the wolf-beast stalking the woods.

Both children, Tage and Adalie, clap their hands excitedly from their positions on the floor.

Her son, Tage, grins, blue-grey eyes alight. "That was awesome!"

"Wait, was that the first time your mother has ever told you that story?" Kagon asks, bewildered as he leans on one of the porch columns.

"Mhm! Momma told us that Tage and I had to wait until we were older for her to tell us. Now Tage and I are seven, so we're big enough!" Adalie giggles, swinging an arm around her twin.

"Did she even tell you the part where we...." Kagon begins before being interrupted by Delia.

"No, no!" She  says quickly. "I made sure to tell them the child-friendly version. They can read the uncut version when they're older."

"That's probably for the best." Kip laughs, going to peck Delia on the lips.

"Gross!" Tage wrinkles his nose.

Kagon chuckles and ruffles the boy's dark hair. "You won't think that when you're older."

"Then why don't I see you with any pretty girls, Uncle Kagon?" Adalie butts in, amber eyes dancing with mischief as she plays with a strand of her curly hair.

"Adalie!" Delia rolls her eyes.

Kagon only laughs and then musses Adalie's coppery blond hair as well. "You're a spitfire like your mother!"

Adalie sticks out her chest proudly. "In Mama's story she called it being a shrew. So, that's what I am!"

"Yes, you're just like your mother." Kip says.

"Hey, so am I!" Tage argues. "I'm a shrew too!"

The adults have a hard time not laughing at the children.

"You both are equal parts of your mother and I." Kip amends.

"Alright, now how about you two go run and play, make your own adventure. The adults need to talk." Kagon says, waving the children away with a grin. "You two might be the next heroes of all the lands after all."

"Don't stray too far!" Delia calls as the children go run off the porch and play in the puddles the rain had left behind.

The sun shines brightly. Fat drops of rain slide off the treetops surrounding the large house and onto the playing children.

"I'm a pirate like Captain Tavius!" Adalie shout, floating a small leaf in one of the puddles. "I'm sailing Mama, Papa, and Uncle Kagon towards the scary Shadowlands!"

Their voices fade off as Delia turns her attention to Kagon. "You said you wanted to talk to us?"

Kagon nods his head. "Yes. It seems like Azzbell, Deon, and Gren are having issues with their mines again. It said in their letter that they believe that some of Gahenna's surviving followers are trying to harvest their mines' natural resources. They need some heroes to come and help them." Kagon grins. "Who's coming with me this time?"

"Actually, it's Delia and I's turn to go." Kip says. "You get to watch over the children this time."

"Oh, no! I'm not missing out on this adventure!" Kagon argues.

"That's what you said the last time it was Kip and I's turn." Delia rolls her eyes. "We were kind enough to let you get your way that time."

"How about all of us go?" He suggests.

"What about our children?" Kip raises a brow. "Iglesias and Maya are in Lanthos trying to track down the remainder of Gahenna's followers, so they aren't available."

"Qin has come to visit. He can watch them."

"No, remember last time we let him watch the children?" Delia prods. "I'm not going to let that happen again."

"Fine, what if we just brought the children along with us?"

Delia snorts. "No way. I only just have begun allowing you to teach them some basic swordplay. They are not ready."

"Enough. You and Kagon can go, Delia." Kip compromises. "The children have always been better when at least you or I are watching over them, especially during long journeys such as this one."

"Fine." Delia grits her teeth. "But we're having Tavius take us in his new balloon ship. It will cut the time in half."

"No! Sailing through the sky is nearly as bad as sailing through the water." Kagon groans.

Delia sends him a swift look that has all of his complaints suddenly silenced.

"I'll let you two argue out the details." Kip chuckles. "I'm going to grab a leaf and play pirate with Tage and Adalie in that puddle."

Delia kisses him on the cheek before he leaves, but then her serious gaze is back on Kagon. "Do we have an agreement on taking the balloon ship?"

"Delia?" Kagon asks, skirting her question.

"What?" Delia asks warily eyeing the hero.

A teasing grin plays on Kagon's lips. "When you were reading the children our story, did you mention that you were in love with me at one point?"

Delia scoffs at the random question. "No, of course not. They don't need to be confused."

"Well, I at least hope that you decide to read them our other ventures. They should know that you ended up going back to your old village and standing up to your father and brother."

Delia shrugs, running a hand through her tresses. "I will in the future, but for now, I need to start packing for our journey. In the meantime, try and get into contact with Tavius. I heard that he was last seen flying around Pik."

"That's fine with me, just hurry up. I'm ready for another adventure." Kagon says with a broad grin.

Delia smiles and pats her close friend on the shoulder. "Alright."

At that, Kagon leaves the porch, hugging Adalie and Tage before he goes.

This means that Delia is alone on her cushioned chair. A light breezes pushes through her hair as she looks down at the heavy book in her lap.

My book. Delia thinks with a smile. She had put much time into finishing it. Over the years it has become quite well known among the people. What had at first meant to be Kagon's book, has become much more than that to Delia. It's her story too, along with Kip's and anyone else involved in their adventure.

Delia's fingers trace over the engravings in the leather bound cover, a smile gracing her face as she reads the title:

Hero's Journey.

The End