Chapter 14

The sun is hot on Delia's back. Her thigh's burn, an aching reminder that she has been walking all day with no break. They don't have time for that.

Delia throws a glance over her shoulder, the camp has been out of sight for hours now, and yet Delia still has the wish to return and find her young friend. Regret and blame sit heavily upon her shoulders.

Delia bites her cheek for a moment before turning her head back around to concentrate on the road ahead.

"Everything okay, Delia?" Iglesias asks, dropping back from the front of the group to walk beside her.

This isn't odd, he's done it every so often to not just her but everybody. Delia can tell the dark haired man deeply cares about the well being of everyone in their procession.

The kindness in his voice makes Delia smile, and for just a moment all her woes are forgotten for a little while.

"Yes, everything is doing fine. How about you Iglesias? You have been working hard."

Iglesias smiles. "That's good to hear. As for myself, I'm doing well. You're right that this is hard work, but It is difficult for everyone." He says.

"We will all be fine though." She says. "You're an excellent leader, so I am certain we will rescue the others and make it back."

Iglesias smiles wanly in response. "Thank you."

The two walk in peaceful quiet for awhile longer until Iglesias excuses himself to check up on more people. The writer is once again left in her own thoughts. With the lack of distraction the burden of her issues spill back on to her shoulders. Delia takes another quick peek behind her, but nothing is in sight other then the dancing branches of the trees as they sway with the light breeze.

〰〰〰

The hero's feet step into a space between the rope weaving. He climbs expertly up the rat lines and on to the nest above. From there he can see the whole ocean laid out in front of him. Kagon feels a rush of adrenaline at the terrifying, breathtaking sight.

"Woah." He breaths in the sea air, filling up his lungs with the salty scent before exhaling slowly.

And even though fear grips at him, Kagon can't help but be astounded by it all.

The ocean is truly a powerful sight.

In the corner of his eye he watches the ropes tighten as someone clambers up the ropes to join him.

Kagon smiles at the young boy as he peaks his head over the nest. He recognizes the child as Avril, the captain's adopted son.

"'Ello, Kagon." Avril greats, before gracefully hoisting himself into the large bucket-like structure.

"Hello, Avril. What is it you need, lad?"

Suddenly the mousy haired boy becomes shy, playing with his fingers. "I-I was wonderin' if you could share with me some a those stories you were talkin' about to my Pa earlier."

"Why not?" Kagon laughs. "You will get a sneak peek at the book being written of my epic tales!"

"A-A book?" Avril looks startled, with wide brown eyes.

"Aye. I have a scribe named Cordelia logging it all into her notebook."

"A girl, writer!" He exclaims.

Kagon chuckles. "Yes, a girl she is."

"A-and where is she then?"

Kagon ponders his next words, looking for an efficient answer to give the young boy, Avril. "She's on her own adventure right now, but I will meet her again soon."