Chapter 36

Of course no one comes.  The miners are all gone due to the monster infestation and the mines are far enough away from the village that it is nearly impossible to be able to hear Delia's calls.

The girl takes a deep breath, realizing all of these things in an instant.  Instead of resigning to her fate, Delia swings Kagon's golden sword at the darkness blindly.  Only hoping that she'll get in a lucky hit.  No hisses of pain, only quiet laughter resounds.

Sweat beads down her face, nerves clench at her guts with chain mail gloves.  She almost wishes whatever it is waiting for her would just attack.  End it all, but all it does is watch and laugh.  Bathing in her fear and conflicting thoughts.

Delia attempts to walk closer to whatever is taunting her, but it evades her.  Moving to the shadows whenever she attempts to shine the sword's glow on to it.

Suddenly, there's a sound like feet beating against stone and a most unlikely savior vaults over the shadows and into her small circle of light.  An old friend she never though she would ever lay eyes on again. 

Kipdale, but how?

The boy's amber eyes meet hers.  He looks so different from the last time she saw him and still more different from when she first saw him.  He is no longer starved or terrified.  Despite that, she does still see fear held deep within him, but this fear is harnessed and turned into something else.  Defiance, courage.

Then, something stranger occurs. From all around her she hears the sound of angry hissing. When she looks around her the darkness does not seem as menacing. Whatever had been skulking them in the shadows had retreated for whatever reason. Delia has no clue besides the boy at her side.

"Kipdale, what are you doing here?  How did you know I would be here?" Delia questions incredulously, sheathing the sword back in the
scabbard at Kagon's side.

Kipdale's line of sight falls to the ground and then back up to meet her eyes once more. He gestures to Kagon.

"You're right we should get out of here." Delia relents. "But I really would like to catch up with you later."

The slightly younger boy bobs his head in agreement and then the two hoist up the unconscious hero mostly carrying him, but partially dragging him back to the safety of Deon's home.

As soon as they reach the threshold Azzbell throws the door open, eyes wide in concern.  "What happened!"  She shrills.

Before Delia can answer the vivacious woman shakes her head.  "No matter, just bring him in."

Nodding, Delia and Kipdale then haul Kagon into the room and lay him gently on to the plush couch in the parlor.

As soon as he is set down Azzbell calls one of the maids in to retrieve cold cloths immediately.  As Azzbell checks his vitals Delia and Kipdale stand to the side.  Unsure of what to do and certainly not wanting to get in the way.

"I've got the cold cloths, Missus."  The maid says quickly, setting the bowl of cold water and fresh white cloths beside her mistress.

"Good, now go retrieve my husband and father from wherever the Fates they are.  They'd want to know of Kagon and Delia's return."  Azzbell orders, dipping one of the white cloths into the bowl of cool water.

"Is he alright?" Delia asks after the maid had long since scurried away to notify Deon and Gren.

Azzbell nods her head whilst pressing a cold cloth to the side of Kagon's head.  "Yes, he seems to be just fine.  I'm not too good with medical things, but he's well enough that I can treat him."  She explains.  "All he has is a nasty bruise at the side of his head.  The cold cloths should bring the swelling down."