Chapter 58

It's a shorter chapter than usual, but I felt that this was the perfect way to end the chapter. I promise the next one will be much longer and have much more action! Thanks, that's all!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Delia studies from the book Thil and Heswyn gave her. For hours every day since they had set out from Lithko, Kip had patiently taught her to read and write better and with more understanding. Now, as they sail away from Duzzbuzz's capital, Sin, she has become knowledgeable enough that she can teach herself. 

It is a struggle, but if anything becomes too difficult for her to comprehend, she has only but to ask Kip and he'll explain the grammar lesson or word meaning thoroughly. She's come to appreciate the boy's kindness and generosity more than ever.

Darkness pervades her cramped cabin as her candle's wax begins to dwindle, melting down to the nub. Before it can go out, she lets out a lighthearted groan as she stretches out her sore fingers. After a moment, she closes the book, neatly tucking her quill between the pages in order to hold her place. She isn't a literary genius that can weave beautiful words on a paper like an old woman can knit, but she's learning and that's all that matters.

I'll make my lie into truth Kagon, I will right down your tales. Delia thinks with determination as she gets to her feet and stretches once more. Despite the late hour, sleep is far from her mind as she decides to take a brisk walk up on the deck.

The moonlight and calm breeze can do me some good...

Delia carefully shuts her door and then ascends the rickety stairway into the main deck. She inhales deeply as the warm breeze tousles her hair, the air has been getting increasingly warmer as they near Roaria, the desert lands where the lion people dwell.

At the thought of the harsh, isolated country, Delia's fingers lightly touch the dagger at her belt, made by the Roarian's themselves. Their weapons are said to be some of the deadliest in all of the lands.

Unfortunately, I've been so immersed in my studies that I haven't had time to practice some of the techniques taught to me by the Amazons.

Delia's feet thump on the wooden deck as she reaches the starboard side of the ship, The Sea Sorceress.  The ship cuts through the ocean on its own accord, completely crew-less besides its captain and four passengers. 

Captain X-Tavius, or Tavius as he likes to be called, had acquired the ship from a sea sorceress that had been terrorizing the waters near Duzzbuzz and Lithko. She had charmed the ship to sail by itself, obeying its captain's every order.  Upon defeating the witch, Tavius took her ship as his prize, selling his old vessel to his first mate.

Delia rests her hands on the edge of the ship, looking into the water below.  It reflects so perfectly, that it can be mistaken for the sky if it weren't for the ripples.  Delia muses.

"Please stand away from the edge."  Delia startles at the voice before realizing its Kagon's.  Hearing the strained and nervous undertone to his words, she does as he asks, moving to the main mast where he stands.

"It's fine, everything is alright."  Delia reassures, feeling touched that he's concerned for her safety.

Perhaps he's forgiven me?

Kagon nods, but still appears tense.  The moonlight accentuates his pale knuckles as his hand tightly grasps the pummel of his sword.

Cautiously, Delia touches his arm and lowers it from the sword strapped to his back.  "Everything is alright."  She repeats.

"Cordelia."  She gasps at the sudden intensity of his eyes upon hers. "Explain yourself to me."

His words are vague, yet she understands them completely.

"My mother was only able to teach me some of the letters and small words, but even those have faded with the interval of time from her death to now.  After that...my father only became worse towards me, I no longer had my mother to protect me from his wrath." Delia looks wistfully at the stars above, trying not to feel the heartache within her or the sorrow pressing behind her eyes.

"My dream to be a writer was not a lie though, Kagon.  I used to tell myself stories when times were especially bad with my father, it always made me happy to know that I could escape through my made-up stories.  My physical body was in the village, but my mind was anywhere but.  When I saw you defeat the beast in my village, I had the insane idea to dress as a man and become your scribe."  She smiles lightly at the memory.

"I just wanted to have my body be as free as my mind, I wanted to live my dreams, and to experience the world I'd been kept from.  I was desperate, so I lied and boasted of the writing skills that I did not have when you dissembled my male disguise.  I figured it was the only chance that you'd take me with you.  The guilt has never left me."  Delia's voice breaks at the end of her sentence.  She never had friends in the village, so she's never bore her soul to another person like this, not since her mother.

Tears stream down her cheeks, her voice raising.  "But I promise you that I will learn to read and write.  Then, I'll practice my ability and once it is good enough, I will write the most epic tale anyone has ever read."  She forces herself to look into his eyes.  "I'll write of you."

Kagon chuckles and shakes his head, and Delia knows that all is forgiven.  "No, you'll write of us."

Delia's heart swells and takes flight.  At last both her mind and body are free.  No longer is she restrained by her tyrannical father and brother, and no longer is she weighed down by her lies.  She is not sure how long it will last, but it does not matter one bit to her.  For once she is completely and truly free.

Her smile starts off small, but then grows into a grin.  "You're right, I'll write of our journey.  Our Hero's Journey."