Chapter 62

Pure, unadulterated terror quells inside of her.  "Why is he watching?"

The cool, green eddies around them.  The fog occasionally forms strange patterns that causes a dim recognition to scratch at the back of Delia's mind.  However, the patterns disperse before she is able to make them out.

"He knows we're coming to the Shadowlands, his home.  He's preparing this very moment for our arrival where he plans to take and sacrifice me to Gahenna, just as he planned before I escaped."

"Oh, Kip..."  Delia trails off, even to her ears her voice sounds soft and distant.

"He watches me through my dreams every night. He sees our progress through the dreams of my sleeping mind." Kip lifts his shoulders slightly, as if the weight lain upon them will not allow him to move them up any higher.

"Why haven't you told us?" Delia asks, tentatively leaning against his side where he holds her close. The need for comfort from the both of them disperses any awkwardness that might have been.

Kip's eyes of amber fire look into hers, conveying everything.

He didn't want us to worry.

Delia clears her throat. "Why am I here?"

Kip stares out into the darkness. "I called both you and Kagon here, however he doesn't seem to be able to connect." Delia looks over to the hero, seeing the emptiness in his eyes. "Since he cannot hear me, I'll have you explain it to him. At this point in time my body can no longer sustain itself when it is awake. We are at the point that is farthest from Gahenna and it is taking much of my energy to stay alive."

"But we were able to wake you up in Lithko, was it useless?"

Kip shakes his head. "No, things are following their course. It was a necessary step to get where we are now. My mark, the Shadow Stain, has allowed me to see that far into the Fates' thread. Just keep doing what needs to be done and we should make it to the Shadowlands." Kip says.

"And after that?"

Kip's face becomes grim. "The chances are not good, but that far into Fate's course is very mottled and confusing." His eyes meet hers. "You're better off leaving me here. You should go, Delia. Go with Kagon and fulfill other adventures." The pupiless orbs of his gleaming eyes dim in sadness. "If you leave me now you'll get what your heart wants."

Said heart beats irregularly at his words, though her mind blocks out the truth of the yearning he mentioned.

"My heart wants all of us --Kagon, you, myself-- to make it out alive."

Kip studies her carefully and then smiles. "I can see that what you say is also true. Thank you, Delia." To her surprise, he kisses her cheek. However, before she is able to register anything, her eyes open, and she wakes up.

〰〰〰

Kagon wakes up feeling as if someone is pushing down on his chest. Groggily, he sits up, but the feeling remains. Blinking blearily, Kagon touches a hand to his aching chest with a groan.

What a strange sleep, I felt like I was trapped underwater. The hero shudders at the thought, remembering Azul's trial in Afflon. It's strange to think that times were simpler then.

Once his gaze focuses, he notices a woman standing in the entrance of his tent. "Good morning, Zoya." He grins tiredly, appraising her fierce beauty.

"Your friend has awoken." She states simply, before spinning on her heel and leaving.

What a way to wake up. Kagon thinks dryly. I I wonder if it's Delia, or maybe Kip? Kagon ponders, quickly shoving on his clothes and boots.