Chapter 6

Delia's heart pounds in rhythm with the clip-clop of the heave footfall of the horse's hooves. Droplets of different emotions fly at her like one of the puddles the horse's splashed through near the creek.

One of these most prominent emotions is anger, anger and fear.

Delia glares at where Kagon is being escorted by three men. From seeing Kagon in battle she knew he could take all these men down easily, why he didn't is beyond her, still it causes her fury to be set afire.

Why didn't he stop her father and brother from taking her? And why did he not struggle against his own arrest?

These sort of questions swim rapidly through Delia's mind like a child racing against his friends at the deep end of a creek.

"We're nearing the village." Her father announces from the head of their procession.

Delia's heart ba-bumps faster in her chest like a caged bird, no a caged dragon trying to be set free.

Not this place again. I've tried so hard to escape this place I'll be damned if I'm not able to escape again...

The procession slowly enters the small village. Children playing in the streets watch with wide, innocent eyes.

I remember when I was that young, Delia muses.

When her mother was still alive she had been more innocent to the world, but once her mother passed away her whole world was shaken and spilled over. It was when her father began to notice her, remember that he had a daughter to take things out on and control now that he didn't have a wife to.

Her brother Lis didn't do a thing.

Delia sighs and tucks a piece of hair behind her ear.

Best not to dig up the past.

Finally the horses halt in the middle of the village. The three men holding Kagon drag him in front of Delia's father's horse and force him to his knees.

"You stole my property." Accuses Davel. "The punishment for thievery is execution."

When Kagon doesn't answer one of the men prod him with his walking stick.

Kagon shrugs with a grin. "So be it."

The men, including Delia all look at Kagon, completely baffled by this statement.

It's almost as if the thought of death excites him.

"You dare mock me?! I hold your life in my hands boy, you better watch yourself."

"And what beautiful hands they are." Kagon amends, smiling with faux niceness.

Davel's face burns a bright hot red, redder than even his natural complexion. "Take him to the holding cells!" Davel shouts, disgusting spittle flying from his mouth, just like if it were trying to be free from him.

The men drag Kagon away, the hero only grins and winks at every eye he meets as he is pulled out of sight

Davel then turns from his horse, face still a beat red from anger, however he smiles. A smiles that shows his true fury. It is a smile that turns Delia's insides into mashed potatoes.

"Now to deal with you, daughter."

Delia forces her eyes to stay steely and her mouth not to quiver from the fear that fills her up inside.

Be brave, be brave, be brave. It's a mantra, a prayer that she so many times before had repeated in the face of her awful father.

Someone calls Davel's name and he turns his head, fat, thick neck rolls cushioning his big round head.