Chapter 39

Kagon leans against a thin tree, arms crossed as he waits for Delia and Kip to meet him. Both his scribe and the strange boy are going through town, enlisting the assistance of all that has ears.

Kagon on the other hand, is completely prepared for what is to face them. His golden sword is strapped to his back, ready to be unsheathed. The knife Delia tossed him so many months ago is strapped to his thigh, awaiting use in case his sword fails. All he has to do now is wait.

The hot Lanthos wind breezes through, kicking up the land's infertile, dusty soil. Kagon closes his eyes so the dust doesn't get into them. When his eyes reopen Delia and Kip are walking over. Nearly the whole village is behind them, holding any and every kind of think that can possibly be used as a weapon.

"We gathered everyone we could." Delia says when she's close enough.

Kagon grins. "This is better than I expected."

"I feel the same way, apparently everyone is more than annoyed at what's been happening in their mines."

"Pissed off is a better word." Kagon laughs, eyeing the angry faces of all the determined villagers.

"Okay." He booms to the crowd. "What we need you to do is simple, block off all exits to the caves so that whatever is inside cannot escape. My scribe --Delia-- will stay outside and help make sure that all exits are covered as well as help organize the bunch of you. So, listen to her. Kip and I," Kagon puts a hand on the boy's shoulder, "will be inside the mines, battling the beast according to the plan we concocted earlier. Any objections?" No one utters a word. "Now, let us fight this evil beast so we can save your village from financial crisis!"

All the villagers lift their choice weapon and cheer. Kagon smiles broadly and nods towards Delia. She smiles in response and goes to fulfill her part of the plan.

"Alright everyone, follow me!" Delia says, leading the people up to the mines to split into smaller groups and assign them places to guard.

Kagon turns to Kip. "Are you ready?"

Kip dips his head in a sharp bob of the head. He can't help but notice the grim expression on Kip's face and his trembling fingers. Still, Kagon doesn't mention anything, instead he leads the way up to one of the cave entrance, taking his time as to make sure Delia is ready.

Once Kip and Kagon reach one of the mine's many entrances, they wait a couple minutes for Delia's signal. Suddenly a loud whistle shrills from the east and Kagon unsheathes his blade. "It is time."

The villagers guarding this entrance all bid both men good luck as the pair enter the dark mines.

Our plan will work.

From all around them droplets of water fall and plop on the rocky ground. The air is chilly and silent, the only sound being the clop of their boots.

Though the two had only just entered, Kagon can barely see a thing. As they move deep and deeper into the cavern he can feel eyes attached to him. Eyes digging into his back and a moist, smelly breath against the back of his neck.

Kagon whirls around, holding his sword in front of him, but nothing is there.

"What is it?" Kip asks, fear lacing his gravelly voice.

Kagon doesn't answer. He looks around for a few moments more, then continues onward.

Kip lets out a yelp and Kagon turns towards him, swiftly grabbing him before he can be pulled to the ground the same way Kagon was the time before.