Chapter 5

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry it took so long! Since summer is nearing my teachers are really loading us with homework to practice for end of the year finals. So I'll be updating every Saturday.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

~Ashlee💕

〰〰〰

The next morning without another word about the strange boy the pair set off to find new adventures and dangers. Dangers that are easy to find in the roughness and violence of the world.

The travelers descend down the mountain in silence and even when their feet hit the soil they are quiet.

Kagon is the first to speak. "Why do you pout girl? You are no babe or young child. It is for the best that the boy left."

Delia's even strides become sloppy, she nearly trips on the root of a tree but Kagon stops her tumble.

She pushes away from him and dusts herself off. "It's not that I pout hero. I have anger for a man with no compassion for those in need."

Kagon snorts. "No compassion?! I've spent my life defending the people of this world from the monsters and villains that lurk."

"For the glory." Delia says. "Not for the right reasons." Her stride lengthens as she stomps a foot ahead of him.

"What other reason is there but glory?" He laughs.

"Exactly."

Kagon looks at her strangely, fuddled by why she's upset with him and angry from it also.

"You're nothing but a small girl looking at the world with wide eyes. It seems that your moral compass points to only right and wrong, there is no center. You say I have hubris but if so you have naivety running thick through your blood. The middle area of the compass is the best, it's where the glory lies. it's where there are no rules between good and bad and there is only right. You've been living a lie to think otherwise."

Delia snorts. "You may think I don't know much about this world but I tell you this, I know more than you'll ever realize. I'm sixteen," Delia says suddenly somber, "but I've seen my fair share of hardship."

"Hm." Kagon grunts, amused. "Writer Delia you surround yourself with the daydream worlds of your books. You write and read about adventure, tragedy, and romance but it's different from experiencing it. I allow you to write of my exploits so my tales can go down in history and inspire boys to seek for adventure. What good is the knowledge you learn from a book if you don't practice it yourself?"

Delia's fists clench and her shoulders become tense but she doesn't speak, and so they walk on.

Kagon sighs, looking ahead of him as his long strides carry him forward.

The girl has much to learn, Kagon thinks, but being by my side will show her the truth in my words. Soon she will know.

The quarreling pair trek onward both thinking they are right in their opinions.

After an hour of traveling Delia finally speaks. "What land are we in? Are we near my old home"

"We haven't left Pikk of yet, we'll be nearing the Ta'ce river that separates Pikk and Lithko soon. It's a couple hours walk from the village you're from." Kagon explains.

Delia doesn't say anything back from walking behind her Kagon notices her back tense.
The hero's eyebrows furrow. Why should their location matter in proximity to her birthplace?

Kagon's eyes narrow as he watches the girl pick up her pace. Suspicion takes place of confusion. Now that he thinks about it she'd been anxious leaving her village as well. What is she running from?