Chapter 54

"Here's your scribe back. Now that we've stated our business, I'm fairly certain we don't need her as a safe-guard in case you attack." Maude shoves Delia forward.

She nearly topples to the ground, but regains her balance on one of the marble pillars. "And they call me shrewish."  She says, rubbing at the spot where Maude had her arm in a vice-grip.

"Are you okay?"  Kip asks.

"I'll be fine."  She says, offering him a small smile.

"You should set out immediately."  Clydion says to his brother.

"You're not coming with?"  Maude asks.

"No, I need to take care of my estate.  Besides, I've been considering marrying into a wealthy family for mutual gain."

Maude shrugs and then grins.  "I guess it's just me you'll have to put up with, then."

"Great." Delia drawls, sarcasm dripping like venom from a snake's fangs.

"Who says they have to take you along, anyway?" Thil asks.

"He does." Maude gestures to Kagon.

For once the hero looks awkward under everyone's attention. He slowly bobs his head up and down in confirmation. "It's true. As a hero, I must help anyone who has need of me." He lowers his voice to a mumble. "Even if I regret saving them in the first place."

"So, there you have it." Maude says, grin wide and cat-like. "It appears to me, Kagon, that your trio just became a foursome."

I never wanted this kind of foursome. Kagon thinks crudely.

"Back to what Clydion said, how are we to set off as soon as possible when we don't even have a ship? Does anyone of us even know how to sail?" Delia asks.

"Actually, I have an idea about that." Heswyn says. "You can take the ship that took us to Paridia to Duzzbuzz, from there you might be able to find a pirate money hungry enough to agree to sail you to the Shadowlands. Of course, you'll have to offer them quite a fortune in order for them to agree to it."

"I do not want to work with a criminal." Kagon growls lowly. "They're the kind of people I'm supposed to be bringing to justice!"

"Technically, I'm a criminal." Maude smirks. "I was a thief before my brother took me in."

"Exactly! I already have to deal with Maude, we don't need another criminal."

"I don't think we really have a choice, Kagon." Delia sighs. "We have to get to the Shadowlands to help Kip, I'll do whatever it takes."

Even in the darkness, Kagon sees Kip's cheeks glow an uncomfortable pink at the writer's sentiment.

"Alright, fine." Kagon groans. "But I want you to omit that we had to ask a pirate for help when you write of my tales."

〰〰〰

Within the next week, Heswyn was able to secure the ship that had taken them to Paridia.

Heswyn and Thil would not be journeying with them, as Heswyn has to return to Paridia to continue her education and write her book on their culture. Thil, has to stay behind and watch over the Great Library in her absence.

So, that left Maude, Kagon, Delia, and Kip to voyage to the capital of Duzzbuzz, Sin.

Duzzbuzz itself, is just as wretched as its capital sounds. The island has served as a pirating island for centuries, the one place on land where pirates can set foot on without the risk of hanging or beheading. Naturally, this means that the whole island is dangerously corrupted with criminals of every sort. It's a place where no pure person should dare traverse. Yet, it is the foursome's best bet at finding a pirate willing to take them to the dreaded Shadowlands.