Chapter 77

"Alright, just a little bit more men! There we go, and we're off!" Tavius shouts with a grin as The Dogfish sets sail from the docks at last.

Delia cheers as the men that stayed to help quickly swing on to The Sea Sorceress before the two ships can drift too far apart. It is time for Delia and her friends to part from the people that they saved from Captain Baymont.

Kagon comes up alongside Delia, causing her to stiffen immediately. "Your idea of voyaging on The Dogfish, was cunning in more ways than one. Not only was it a good solution to end a conflict, but it is also strategic. The Shadowlanders will expect The Dogfish because of the cargo they think it carries, that means we will be able to get on land without any struggle."

Delia purses her lips and nods in response. The compliment he gave her would have made her blush before, but now it only causes her to flood with confusing emotions. All she wishes is to leave, but her stubbornness keeps her rooted in place.

I will not run away like a sulking child. This is a pain that I will face and deal with as long as I need to. Once the whole situation with Kip is cleared up, I don't ever have to see Kagon again. The thought leaves her heart aching even more.

Delia watches out of the corner of her eye as Kagon shifts uncomfortably, a rare sight for the suave hero. He opens his mouth to say something. Delia looks at him head on with guarded eyes, but heart imploring.  However, Kagon quickly closes it, sends her an awkward version of his heroic grin, and goes to talk to Maude.

She watches him for a moment before turning around to stare at the bright horizon mingling with the sparkle of the sea.

Birds of all kinds soar high in the sky, colorful streaks against a blue canvas. Their caw fills Delia's ears as the wind pushes a few wisps of coppery-blond hair away from her face. The breeze envelops her, bringing the salty smell of the Lividia to her nose. She inhales deeply, her nerves calmed by the scent.

"I fancy the sea breeze as a pirate's perfume."

Slightly surprised from the intrusion, Delia quickly turns her head towards the voice only to see that it is Tavius. "A worthy description." Delia agrees. "I'll have to use that in my book."

"Oh, you still plan on writing it?" Tavius asks tentatively.

Delia bites her cheek and nods. "Of course...I did promise Kagon after all." She trails off for a moment. "Besides, it definitely is a worthy tale to share."

Neither of them address what happened in the brig. Delia hasn't really talked to anyone about it. Part of her wishes that Maya were here for her to share it with, while the other half of her is relieved that her friend is safe in Iglasias' makeshift village in Pik.

"Have you started it at all?" Tavius questions curiously.

This gets a smile out of Delia. "Actually, it really is coming along. I haven't written up to the present as of yet, I'm not even close. However, I've made much progress. Writing is everything that I thought it would be." Her eyes are bright as she speaks. "Making up my own stories in my head before I learned how to write will always have a place in my heart. However, putting those stories on paper is something...spectacular."

Tavius' eyes crinkle as he smiles broadly. "It sounds to me like you've found your passion, sweetheart. Don't let anyone or anything stop you no matter what. It's a lesson I learned the hard way and will now pass to you for free."

"Free?" Delia finds herself laughing in spite of the pain that still lingers in her heart from being with Kagon. "Why thank you!"

"No problem." Tavius winks, donning a crooked smile. "Now, I really should be getting back to the helm. I left Kip there to make sure we stay on course, but the boy really is clueless when it comes to navigating."

Delia chuckles. "Alright and thank you for lifting my spirits."

"Once again, no problem, anything for a friend."

The two share a smile before Tavius leaves to get back to his duty, leaving Delia to turn back to the endless sky and sea.

〰〰〰

Later that night Delia works on a chapter of Kagon's story. Her quill seems to fly across the page as she writes in her careful, yet messy scrawl. Delia is at the part in their journey where Kagon helped her out of the cellar after narrowly escaping execution from her father, Davel.

This leads her to thinking about their whole adventure. Abandoning her quill, she sits back and cracks her knuckles. They've been through so much together; climbing mountains, battling beasts of all kinds, fighting Shadowlanders at the edge of Gahenna along with Iglesias and Maya, finding the cure for waking Kip in the Great Library of Lithko with Heswyn and Thil, sailing most of the Lividia, repairing their ship in Roaria, numerous captures by dangerous fiends, and so much more.

They really have done it all together.

Delia finds her mind wandering back to when the swift river T'ace swept her away from Kagon and how she felt being separated from him. It is the same terrible heartache Delia felt earlier in the day when she thought about never having to see Kagon again.

But I am still so hurt. How can I see him more if it is so painful to do so?

The elusive answer does not show itself to her in the way Delia thinks it will. Instead, the answer presents itself in a simple knock on her door.

Curious, Delia gets up from her bench and opens the door.

Kagon stands at the other side. He doesn't ask to come in nor does he say anything to her for a couple of seconds. During that short time, they look at each other, eyes tracing over each other's faces for something that isn't there.

It seems like an eternity before Kagon speaks. "Delia, I'm sorry that all of this happened. I never knew that you were in love with me and I'm sorry that I cannot return your love." Kagon takes a deep breath and then continues.

"You were right about something that night though, and I regret that I did not realize it earlier. You are not a child, you are a woman, and a strong one at that. I should never have treated you like you were a naive little girl when in reality you are one of the cleverest, most kindhearted, and courageous people that I know. I still can never be your lover, but I want you as my friend and partner. So, will you be that to me?"

Sometime while he was speaking, tears began to prick at her eyes, but now they begin to blur her vision. Embarrassed, Delia quickly wipes them away.

"Of course, Kagon. I was thinking about it before you came in, and I think that I would regret not having you in my life in some way, even if it isn't how I wanted it."

Kagon takes a step towards her, looking unsure, but then seems to make up his mind over something. For a moment later, he wraps Delia into an embrace. Delia stiffens in surprise, but then melts into his comforting warmth. Deep inside, she hurts a little less.

That is when she receives the answer to her question from before Kagon knocked on her door.

Time is the key. In spite of it seeming impossible now, Delia knows that the hurt that plagues her now will fade. She will mend.

Through all the pain of her broken heart, she feels a new hope rise from the damage. The hope of a long and true friendship.