Chapter 81

Kagon shields his face with the hood of the cloak he had taken from the Shadowlanders they had fought. The others follow his lead and do the same. However, the hero can only pray that it is enough to hide their true identities.

"I can see the city up ahead." Maude says quietly.

Kagon's eyes flick up from where they were studying the hard-packed path beneath his feet. He can see the tall, black spire of the temple pierce the angry beast of a sky. Giant roars roll above disguised as thunder. He can even see a faint flash of lightening far on the horizon.

Another storm is nearly upon us. Kagon thinks to himself as he surveys the expanse of the city.

"According to the map, it is the only civilization in the Shadowlands, which explains how large it is." Delia pipes up as she looks down at said map.

"Hmph." Maude grunts, uninterested.

"It also shows that there is a system of canals laced throughout the city. The whole city seems to have been made over the T'ar river that runs straight into Gahenna." Delia says with a crinkled brow. " How is that even possible? Shouldn't the river sweep the city into Gahenna?"

"Gahenna's power, maybe?" Kagon suggests.

Maude shrugs. "I've heard that she made the impossible city for her chosen people."

A shiver runs its way up Kagon's spine. That kind of power is...horrifying.

"We are about to get to the city's entrance." Kip whispers. "We should stay silent and be watchful."

Kagon can see the worry in Kip's amber eyes and the slight quaver of his fingers as they grasp the hilt of his unsheathed sword.

At Kip's request, the group falls silent as they reach a pair of sleek, black pillars. The rush of the T'ar river fills Kagon's ears. As if waiting for them, a rowboat is nestled next to one of the pillars. It bobs up and down against the dark river's current leading into the city.

"Someone is going to miss their boat." Maude chuckles, stepping into the small watercraft. "Tavius would be envious that we got to do some pirating without him."

Kagon finds himself chuckling at this as he too climbs into the craft. However, he quickly frowns as he must yet again get into another boat.

Without a word, Delia gets in as well, looking as if her mind is elsewhere.

That leaves Kip. Kagon looks at the lad with a slightly puzzled expression. Kip's face is pale and he has one foot behind the other as if he plans on taking a step back. Kagon gestures at him to come forward. "Come on, lad! The rowboat is secure enough." He says.

Kagon can't help but find it ironic that he is the one trying to convince Kip to get into the boat.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Delia smiles up at Kip. "He's right, it will be fine." She offers him a hand.

Kip presses his lips together into a thin line, tentatively taking the hand Delia offers him and climbing into the boat.

Once in, Delia unties the rope and Maude and Kagon take the oars. As the hero rows, he moves his gaze toward his friend. Kip's face has begun to take back on some of its natural color, yet he appears to be as skittish as a rabbit.

"What's wrong?" Kagon asks him quietly, as not to gather anyone else's attention.

Kip only shakes his head in response, leaving only the gurgle of the T'ar river to fill the silence.