Chapter 17

This is the song of traveling men
As we travel ten by ten...

Delia smiles wide, singing heartily to the old traveler's song. Even Maya joins in, a small smile etched across her delicate features,

We leave the women and the children safe at home
So we can come back with new ventures to be told
This is the song of traveling men
As we travel ten by ten...

Everyone in their small group belts out the tune's lyrics at the top of their lungs; instilling warmth, happiness, and hope in all of their worn hearts.

Brutes push us down but we rise from the ashes
Teachin' 'em a lesson with a couple lashes
Because we are traveling men
You mess with us and you get ten by ten.

As the procession finishes the last notes to the song the positive feelings it created keeps a bright fire burning within all of their hearts.

"I haven't heard that song since my Pa taught it to me when I was just a young lass." Maya gushes, a serene and joyful simper adorning her lips.

Delia takes a double take, she's never seen her friend so calm and openly happy.

It's so nice to see her this way. Delia thinks. I wonder if this is how she used to act...

The scribe immediately scrubs the dark spot out of her short window of happiness. 

They all needed this moment to just let it all go and be optimistic, even Delia. And she won't let heavy thoughts like that cloud over this moment.

Delia returns the smile. "Really?  I've only heard it from travelers going through my old village."

"Oh, yes.  My pa was a miner.  He'd heard all the song so when he got home he'd always teach them to me." There's a hint of sadness in her voice, but the moment causes memories to stay happy.

"Is anyone up for another song?" Iglesias asks from the front of their group, interrupting the girls' conversation.

The answer is an anonymous "yes" by all in the group.

Soil and dirt beneath our feet.
We're not pirates but men of land.... 

All of them join in on this song as well as the ones after.  They all sing until their voices fail on them and they're left in the quiet of nature and the darkening light.  Despite this the melodies continue to pound through their hearts, keeping broad, happy grins on their faces.

〰〰〰

"I am no pirate but a man of land and yet you keep shoving me back in boats!" Kagon growls at the merchant.

The elven woman --Kagon found out her name is Sydoni-- speaks instead. "It is the easiest was of transportation through Afflon. There is nothing more swift. And if you use the rivers to your advantage you'll be able to find the sword quicker than on foot or even horse."

"Exactly." Lelk agrees. "Listen to her, Kagon. She's an elf, so she knows this land like the back of her hand as all elves do."

Kagon sends his older friend a look, but then gives in. "Yes, fine. I'll use this damned boat." He sighs, irritated by the situation.

The hero really does not want to get into a boat anytime soon.  Especially since he only just got off one, even if this boat is just a dingy and the water is fresh.

A small, amused smile creeps up Sydoni's lips. "Good. Now," she hands Kagon a sheet of rolled parchment, "this is a map of Afflon so you can navigate the rivers." She says, moving to stand closer so she can point out things on the map.

A breeze suddenly blows through, causing strays of her dark hair to tickle his face. He hasn't had a woman in awhile and never has it been an elf woman....

"Please pay attention." Sydoni rolls her pretty eyes, bringing him out of his thoughts.

"Yes, what did you say?"

"I said that if you travel through here and here," she points to different branches of the river," you will travel through the older parts of Afflon. The sword will probably be in these older parts considering how old the sword itself is."

"And where do I bring it back to you at?" Kagon asks.

Sydoni doesn't even think over the question befire answering. "Venture back to this trading camp and find an elf named Buryou, he will escort you to me and the high court. There you will give us the sword and collect your reward. Do you have anymore questions?"

Kagon ponders for a moment. "Is there any time limit that I need to know about?"

"No, none except that the ship will leave in a week. If you're not back by then I can maybe delay for a day, but then I have to be off." Lelk says.

"Alright, that is all the questions I have."

Sydoni nods. "There is a bag of supplies in the ship that is immune to water, store the gloves and the map there."

A bag immune to water? Kagon has heard of stranger.

"I will." The adventurer says quickly, beginning to become anxious. 

He feels like a lad going off off to explore the land for the first time.  The situation is similar since he's never been to Afflon before.

"Then farewell Kagon of Pik and good luck finding and retrieving the sword." Sydoni smiles lightly at the hero.

"Goodbye Kagon. I'll see you in a week if all goes well." Lelk grins, waving as the blond man gets into the boat and pushes away from shore.

"Goodbye." Kagon says back, waving at the elf and merchant as the current of the river takes him downstream.

Once the two are out of sight Kagon puts the map and gloves into the water-immune bag.  It's a light green bag made of some kind of leafy material.

In the peace of the elves' forest Kagon suddenly grins. 

It's been too long since I've been on a proper quest. He thinks. The last time was when I killed the ice beast.

As the hero remembers this he can't help but feel as if writer Delia is sitting right across from him.

She would of loved this.  Perhaps I'll take her back here for another quest someday.

Someday...Someday after he finds her.

Plop!

Kagon stumbles back into reality at the sound.  He relaxes, seeing it is only a happy elf couple skipping rocks from the left bank of the stream. 

"Hello!" He greets them as he rows by.

As soon as they see him their smiles disappear from their faces.  Stoically, they wave back to him, sending him a hello in their strange melodic language .  Only when he's away from sight does he hear their bright, musical laughter again.

So, they're not as emotionless as they seem. Kagon decides.  They are just like that to strangers.

At the thought he tries to thing of Sydoni with more than a bare smile on her face, but only ends up laughing.  That is one thing he cannot imagine.

However, it does bring up a new challenge for the blue-eyed hero to complete. To make her --or any elf for that matter-- smile or laugh genuinely.