Chapter 32

"Father!"  Azzbell calls in her melodious voice as she swings open the front door.  "I brought guests!"

"Take them into the parlor!  I'll be there in a moment."  A man's gruff voice calls back.

"Follow me.  My father will be with us in a moment."  The young woman says as if the two hadn't heard their whole shouting match of a conversation.

"Lead the way."  Kagon grins.

Azzbell sends the hero a wink and saunters into the parlor with both the hero and his scribe closely following after.

She's still the pretty, flirtatious girl I met years ago.  Kagon notes, watching how her broad hips sway with a strange grace despite her larger size.

Azzbell lets them into the parlor and tells them to take a seat.

Both writer and hero oblige, sitting on one of the overstuffed pieces of furniture.  Kagon smiles as he sees Azzbell sit beside him. 

No, she hasn't changed, not one bit...

"Is there anything you need?"  Azzbell asks the two.  "You both look so incredibly beaten by your journey." 

Delia stomach audibly rumbles and Kagon laughs at the younger girl's embarrassment.  "Does that answer your question?"  He chuckles.

"Yes, yes it does."  Azzbell laughs whilst calling in a servant.

"Mia, dear bring us coffee and those tasty mini sandwiches you sometimes make."

"Yes'm."  Mia says with a polite smile before scurrying off to do as Azzbell said.

Just then, a large man with a well-groomed beard enters the room.  As soon as his eyes meet Kagon his serious face turns into a good-natured --possibly even boyish-- grin.

"Kagon of Pik!"  He shouts, his voice a throaty garble.

Kagon stands to great the much older man, but is instead pulled into a bear hug, similar to how the man's daughter at first greeted him.

"Deon, it's good to see you."  Kagon says once the man releases him from his bone-crunching embrace.

"And you too, my boy." Deon laughs, slapping Kagon on the back so hard that the hero nearly stumbles.  "It's good that you're here."

Just then he sees Delia out of the corner of his eyes and smiles wide. "And who is this?  By the gods, Kagon!  Have you finally settled down!"

Kagon laughs and shakes his head.  "No, as I told your daughter this is my scribe and traveling companion.  Her name is Cordelia, but she prefers to be called Delia."

"Ah, well it's a pleasure to meet you, Delia."  Deon says, offering the girl a meaty hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well, sir."  Delia says almost timidly.

"Don't let her fool you, Deon."  Kagon interject with a teasing smirk.  "The lass is a total spitfire."

"Of course she is!"  Deon exclaims.  "I can see a free spirit in those stormy eyes!"  Just then Deon leans closer, Kagon laughs as he watches her squirm uncomfortably.  "Hmm, but that isn't the whole story, is it lass?"  Deon asks.  "Your spirit may have the nature of a free one, but you've been in the life of bondage haven't you?  The man stares into her eyes.  "I can see you're still suffering from it...." Deon trails off.