Chapter 8

And what a magnificent story he spins.

"So, they are not dead?" Delia asks, fidgeting with her horse's leather reigns.

"No, they are not dead but I sure did put them into their place!" Kagon laughs. "How funny Davel's face was when I sprung free from my binds just before he could take off my head with that axe of his! And the more humorous it was when I took that axe and held it to his neck. Suddenly he wasn't so gleeful, and how good he is at begging for his life! Two fine horses and a sharp knife with supplies to last us quite awhile is what he bribed me with for allowing him to live."

Delia nods, she's been quiet ever since they had set off away from her cursed village.

"Aye." He nudges her lightly. "Why are you upset? You are safe from your father and away from the village. Not to mention," he grins, "you are traveling with the best hero of all the lands!"

"I am relieved really." Delia pauses. "But I must ask why you did not just fight them and take me when they first arrived."

Kagon laughs. "That's what is nipping at you? I did it because of the adventure. Being so close to the hands of Darknae is exhilarating."

Delia glares daggers at the hero. "Danger and adventure is one thing, but you should never put yourself so close to death on purpose. My father could of had me and we could both be dead."

"It would of never happened. Your father is too cocky for his own good. He underestimated me and that's how I knew I would be able to escape with you."

"Ha! And you are not cocky?" Delia laughs bitterly.

"Aye, I'm as proud as can be, however I'm not stupid enough to underestimate my enemies."

Delia messages her eyes with the heel of her palms. "There really is no point in trying to convince you of my own views, is there?"

Kagon laughs. "I'm afraid not. However, in time you will understand my views and probably even agree with them."

"Doubtful." Delia smiles sardonically. "My father was right about one thing, I can be quite shrewish."

The hero chuckles at the scribe. "That you can."

Delia cracks a smile. "Come on hero, let us follow our next path towards another goal."

"That's the spirit, writer Delia. Ya!" Kagon spurs the horse and the strong being gallops ahead.

"Spirit, it is not something I lack." Delia chuckles. "Ya!" At that her horse runs onward, after the hero's steed.

〰〰〰

Kagon glances at his companion from the corner of his eyes. Her grey eyes sparkle like ocean waves and her hands grip tightly to her horse's reigns.

Kagon eyes the pensive girl. To him it is as if she is both happy and upset.

It is strange. Emotions should never be so jumbly. You are either content or you are not.

"So do we have any certain destination?" Delia questions, breaking Kagon's train of curious thoughts

"Yes, this dagger is well made but it is no sword. What I need is a new blade, a sword that will outmatch the one I lost before."

Finding a blade better than Kagon's old sword is not as easy as it sounds. His former weapon was a long two-handed sword with a shining metal blade and with a strong leather hilt inlaid with sparkling crystals. He had received the weapon from the horde of a thief he caught trying to steal his supplies awhile back.

"That doesn't sound too difficult." Delia says.

Kagon smirks, if only she had just heard his prior thoughts. Instead of explaining he says something else. "You will see."