Chapter 51

Thankfully, descending the waterfall wasn't as difficult for Delia as doing the reverse.

However, she still wants to kiss the ground upon her boots hitting it.  Instead, Delia pulls on a relieved smile.  Her tense muscles relax and her hard breathing slows to a steady pace as she comes down from her adrenaline high.

"Good job." Heswyn praises, offering Delia a smile.  "Are the berries safe?"

"Safe and sound." Delia confirms. "We should hurry back to the ship, I'm surprised Kagon gave us this much time on the island without coming to get us."

Heswyn sends Delia a lopsided smile that sparks mischief in her eyes.  "Oh, he probably has attempted to leave."

Delia look quizzically at the librarian.  "What do you mean?"

"All I'm saying is that I might've, maybe gave the captain and his crew orders to keep Kagon on his ship at all costs."

It takes a moment for Delia to register what she means, but as soon as she does a chuckle spills from her lips along with a smile that matches Heswyn's in its mischief.  "I hope I'm not the first to tell you that you're absolutely brilliant."

"No, not the first and hopefully not the last." Heswyn says with a grin. 

At that both writer and librarian head back to the beach they landed on only to find a sight not so disturbing as it is irritating.

"Kagon!" Heswyn and Delia shout in different tones, but nevertheless in complete unison. 

Delia, who is annoyed at his prescience but somehow happy to see him, suppresses a smile.  She isn't surprised at all to see the hero standing on the wooden bench of a beached dinghy.  Of course he was able to escape the ship.  The fateless fool.

"Ladies, good to see your all in piece, but I must say that you're both extremely tardy. Do you need me to find the berry for you?"

"Shut your mouth, arrogant man! For we have retrieved the berry ourselves. Now we must go before the Paridians discover you on their island.

"Too late."

Delia visibly winces at the smooth sound of Yetska's voice.

Kagon only grins at the beautiful dark-skinned warrior. "Well hello."

Idiot

"Yetska, we were just about to leave." Delia says with a kindly smile.

"Yes, you can go librarian and young warrior. However, he must stay."

"But you can't." Delia says helplessly, panic seizing her heart. She can't let him die.

"We have no choice." Yetska says solemnly. "It is the rule of the island. Any male foreigner whose boot even toes the surface of the sand must be swiftly executed without trial."

Delia bites her lip looking back and forth from the hero to her Paridian mentor. Then, Delia smiles. "Toes the surface of the sand you said?" Delia asks.

Yetska nods grimly. "Yes."

"That means Kagon is safe, then." Yetska looks a Delia doubtfully. "For he is still in the boat."